Chapter 48 - BUSTED

Start from the beginning

"Not at all. Your a great kid so its an honor to have you." She replied, complimenting me. I was feeling a tad bit bashful to say the least. The cozy interior, the food being cooked on the stove, the rain outside, it all made me feel giddy inside, like when I was a kid. Everyday was a blessing to me, I truly had the perfect life. That obviously didn't last. This atmosphere was the closest feeling to "home" that I felt since actually being home, and I don't mean that rundown apartment my father made us move into, the one before that, the one where my grandparents would come over and visit.

"Make yourself at home. The food will be ready soon." She said with a warm smile. To my surprise a natural smile worked its way onto my face.

"Thank you Mrs. Martin." I said.

"Oh, please call me Darby." She insisted. I nodded still with the smile on my face. I turned around and headed back into the living room. They had so many cool things here. There was a large sofa sat in front of a flat screen TV. There were vases and decor along the sides of the room. This place just screamed expensive.

I treaded over to the sofa and took a seat. I felt like I was being swallowed as I hit the cushions. I melted with comfort. I didn't really know what to do while waiting for Darby to finish cooking, so I just relaxed on the sofa.

A few minutes of silence passed before I heard Darby from the kitchen. "You can watch the TV if you'd like!" She voiced loud enough for me to hear. I did as she said and turned on the TV to kill some time. It's been so long since I've watched TV that I'd almost forgotten how to operate a it.

A plate being set in front of me snapped my attention away from the TV. Darby finished the meal and shared me a plate. It looked like a vegetable stew without the broth. All the different colors made the dish look very presentable and appealing.

"Thank you, Darby." I said expressing my gratitude.

"You are very welcome mister." She responded before disappearing into the kitchen once again.

I lifted the plate and took a bite. It was tasty... very tasty. The crispy and saltiness had my taste buds excited. I ignored the TV while I ate. I was still pretty exhausted after what happened yesterday, my body hasn't recovered yet, which would explain my appetite.

The sofa sank, startling me. It was Darby she took a seat besides me. I noticed she'd made me a cup of tea.

"I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say we all want you here. But, well... I'm afraid I'll need to know what happened yesterday before we can keep you here." She started. "It's not that I'm curious per se, it's just, if any accusations are made against us, one being illegally harboring a child whether its against their will or otherwise." She explained. "I need to know what happened so we can be prepared to take legal action. I'm still in the dark here, and have no idea what happened to you, what about your parents, where are they? Do they know what's going on? I need to be informed so that I know where to go from there." Darby could be very serious when she wanted to, which came as a surprise to me. I didn't expect this side of her. "You don't have to tell me now, you can do it when you're ready." She said sweetly. I stopped her as she was about to stand up.