Chapter 33 - Commence

Sorry for the long wait! This chapter used up a lot of my material so I'm nearing the end of my stockpile ;-; I loved the comments from the last chapter. They had me smiling from ear to ear.

-Picture of Charlie

Keegan's POV

After our wonderful day out Alayne took me back to the street near my home. I waved her off and began the trek back to my house. She told me she would explain the first step of her plan tomorrow at school. Man, I wish there was a way I could get out of this, its too late now though.

I snuck into the house. My father was home but I guess he was in his room since he wasn't anywhere in sight down stairs. Lucky me. I made my way to my room and dropped my bag next to my bed. I guess the only thing left to do now is to go to bed. I brushed my teeth, showered then got out a book. I read while I fell asleep. It felt so good letting myself be enveloped by my much needed rest.

The next morning I quickly brushed my teeth grabbed my bag and ran out of the house without my father catching me. I was heading over to the diner to see if they were stilling offering any jobs. It took a couple of minutes to get there so I would still have plenty of time to get to school.

"Welcome!" The woman greeted as I entered through the door.

"Uh, hi. Are you still offering that job?" I asked scanning the shop for any help wanted signs. To my disappointment none where in sight.

"Oh, I know you!" She exclaimed pointing at me. I blushed and stiffened a little at her attention.

"Lucky you, we have have one more position left. Some guy came around the other day taking the dish washing position, I forget when he's startin' though." She informed me. My eyes lit up. This is great, now I'll finally be able to eat properly and pay for my own things, even if it isn't that much.

"I'll take it!" I accepted hastily without knowing the details of the job.

"Great, when can ya start workin'?" She asked, pulling out a clipboard.

"Is tomorrow fine?" I asked. I wasn't sure if it would be the best time but I needed to start working as soon as possible.

"Sure! Your shift is from four-pm to seven-pm. You'll be mannin' the front desk, 'course I'll be there to help ya too if ya need anything." She informed. This seemed like it could work. Alayne will be disappointed since we won't be able to hang out as often though.

"Would ya like a slice of pie, or anything before ya go?" She asked over her shoulder, behind the counter.

"Uh yeah, sure." I accepted. I did come here for a bit after all.

"Alright, pull up a chair, I'll be there with yo' order in a sec." She informed. I did as she said and watched as she moved from shelf to shelf. Soon enough I had a nice slice of pie sitting in front of me. It was just as delicious as last time.