Sorting.

“Firs’ years! Firs’ years, over here!” Hagrid cried over the chatter. I ran up to him, throwing my arms around his huge leg.

“Well, ‘ello there Aidy.” He said, automatically knowing that it was me. Who else would it be? “Harry with you?”

“He’s off with Ron Weasley. He’ll be fine.”

“He’ll find yeh, Harry’s a smart lad.” I smiled, nodding. We were filed to the lake, where Hagrid was ushering us all. I stepped into the boat alone, having lost Hermione and Neville, who had joined us at the end. No one bothered to get in with me, which I was saddened by. The boat suddenly began to move, and I simply sat there, alone. As I watched everyone behind me, I noted Harry, Hermione, and Ron together, and right beside me, in another one of the boats, was Draco Malfoy and a bunch of people who were going to be Slytherins. I shifted uncomfortably as Malfoy smirked at me.

“Campbell, what are you doing alone?” he said over the small distance. I shrugged.

“No one got in the boat with me.”

“So, nobody wants you here, and no one wants you at home. Interesting, isn’t it?” I recoiled, repelled by his harsh words. I glared at him.

“Shut up, Malfoy.”

“Make me.” He smirked, and I did. My wand flicked at him from my robe sleeve, where it couldn’t be seen.

“Quietus.” I murmured, pointing at his throat. Malfoy’s laughter ceased altogether and he clutched at his throat, unable to speak. I snickered.

“Much better.” A pug faced girl glared at me murderously.

“You! Give him his voice back now!” I continued to snicker.

“Why should I?” She glared at me, and I lazily flicked my wand.

Sonorus.” He was mid yell, and instantly the volume came back.

“AND I WEAR DRAGON PATTERNED UNDERWEAR-“

“Malfoy, we can hear you-“

“AND MY MUM STILL KISSES ME AND MY TEDDY BEAR GOOD NIGHT-“

“Malfoy, shut-“

“AND I GAVE MY MUM MY UNDERWEAR INSTEAD OF A-“

“MALFOY!” I shouted. He looked at me.

“What?”

“I’m responding to you.”

“And?”

“Think about that for a second.” He did, and his face went even paler. I smirked. My work was done. As soon as we landed, I found Harry, Ron, and Hermione still together. I ran to them.

“Where’ve you been?” Ron asked.

“Alone up front.” Hermione looked at me with sympathy.

“Alone? No one else was with you?” I shook my head.

“It’s alright, though.” I said, as we walked through the huge courtyard of the castle.

“It’s not!” Hermione cried. I patted her shoulder soothingly.

“No worries, Hermione. Let’s just get the sorting over with.” I said, as a woman, whose face was wrinkled with frown lines, stood in front of us. She looked at us severely, her long, grey hair in a tight bun. She had on a broad, emerald green hat, and was dressed in a similarly coloured robe.

“My name is Professor McGonagall, and I am deputy Headmistress of this school. In a few moments, the Sorting Ceremony, In which you will be sorted into your houses, will begin. The four houses are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin.” She had a nasty look on her face at the end of her sentence. “While you are here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs here will gain points for your house, and any rule breaking will result in loss of points.” She looked disdainfully at Malfoy.