Knotgrass

"Do you have a garden?" I asked, looking up at Gemma. She smiled, tying the sash on my dress for me.

"Yes, a common herb garden. Knotgrass, Fluxweed, Leaping Toadstools and the like."

"Can I see?" she smiled, leading me to the balcony, invisible to muggle eyes. On it were a dozen hanging herbs, and a bed of Knotgrass.

"Do you like it? I don't keep up with it as well as I should." I grinned at her.

"It's perfect. Why do you keep a garden?"

"It's nice not to have to stop by the apothecary once in awhile. I always seem to be running out of Knotgrass, it's such a common potions ingredient."

"What does it do?"

"It binds potions together, if I remember right. Fresh out of Hogwarts and already forgetting." she chuckled. She straightened my dress, taking my hand.

"Do you have your list?"

"Yes." I said, gripping the bundle of papers.

"Alright, then, lemme see them." I handed her the bundle, and she opened them.

Uniform

Three Sets of Plain Work Robes (Black)

One Plain Pointed Hat (Black) for day wear

One Pair of Protective Gloves (dragon hide or similar)

One Winter Cloak (Black, silver fastenings) 

Please note that all student's clothes should carry name-tags at all times.

Books

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

Other Equipment

1 Wand

1 Cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set of glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set of brass scales

Students may also bring an Owl OR a Cat OR a Toad.

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS.

"Mmm, almost exactly the same as mine were. We'll get your books second to last, and your wand after that. I think we'll go downstairs first, Gladrags is right underneath us. They'll get us what we need." I nodded.

"Alright."

"Mmm, might as well get you dress robes for holidays. You don't mind staying at Hogwarts for Christmas, do you? I have to work." she explained. "Since I'm new, I only get a week of vacation time. You can come home next year." she promised, and I nodded. I was still wary around my sister, frightened that she would return to ignoring me. I didn't want her to be mad at me again. Not ever.