I nodded. "I'm fine, just tired I guess. Let me call my mom really quick and I'll be back." I climbed out of James's bed and padded to the living room where my phone was left sitting on the couch.

I called my mom and let it ring three times before she answered, "Is James bringing you home, honey?"

"Um, I think I'm just going to spend the night since it's so late—"

"We didn't talk about this, Vi." She breathed.

I swallowed the lump in my throat and answered, "I know, Mom. But it's fine. James is already asleep and I'd hate to wake him," I lied. Well, it's a partial lie. Knowing James he's probably already sleeping again.

I almost thought she hung up until she spoke again, "Fine. But I want you home by seven and I swear, Violet, if you make me a grandma—"

"Oh, my God, Mom. No, that's not going to happen." My cheeks burned. "You're not going to be a grandma. At least not because of me."

She sighed with relief. "Get some sleep and I'll see you in the morning."

"I love you."

"I love you too, Vi."

And I hung up.

I sat my phone back on the table and pressed my cool palms to my cheeks before walking back into James's room. He was sitting up in bed now, his head slightly cocked to the side, and his hair disheveled from sleeping. "Grandma?"

I groaned loudly. "Not you too!"

James chuckled and rubbed his jaw. "Your mom is funny."

"She's your everyday comedian," I said sarcastically, my face burning more by the second. "Do you have a shirt I could borrow?"

James smiled at me and got out of bed. He walked in his closet, emerging with a black t-shirt in hand. He handed it to me and I walked into his bathroom to change. The shirt came up mid-thigh and I settled with that. Not much I could do about it unless I wanted to sleep in jeans. Which isn't comfortable at all. But I'm comfortable around James enough.

He was standing in the middle of the room, his phone in one hand, and his other hand stuffed in the pocket of his sweatpants. "What time is it?" I asked.

"Almost midnight," He murmured back, still looking down at his phone.

I stepped closer to him and pushed up my glasses. "Everything alright?"

"Yeah," He replied and locked his phone before setting it on the bedside table. He looked at me, scanned my body once, and his lips quirked into a grin. "Remind me to let you borrow my clothes more often."

I felt my cheeks flush and I wrapped my arms around myself. "It's the softest shirt I've ever worn. I want to bury myself in it."

James laughed lightly and placed his hands on my arms. "You can keep it." He pulled me closer against his chest, snaking an arm around my waist.

"Really?" I beamed and bit down on my lower lip.

He gripped my chin between his pointer and thumb. "You drive me crazy when you do that," He whispered.

"What?"

"Bite your lip." His eyes searched mine.

My heart picked up, hammering too hard against my chest. "Want to know what drives me crazy?" I asked in a low tone.

Charming and Awkwardजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें