25. Broken Walls

So the hunt was done, Jesse James and accomplice Robert Ford were put to rest. Cas and I were sitting in a small diner, relishing in the feeling of a job being done. The waitress had put some eggs in front of me as my breakfast. I hadn't slept yet, since we were up all night digging graves and then burying everything again, but I wasn't tired, especially because Cas was able to heal me so fast. I was planning to hit the road after my meal.

"You sure you don't want anything?" Our waitress asks the angel for the second time.

"No, I'm good," He responds. The waitress smiles before going to the next table. I chuckle.

"I can't imagine a life without food, man. It's too delicious. How do you do it?" I joke after I take a bite of the fried eggs. He stays quiet as I eat the meal, a burning question stuck in my mind from the moment he joined me on this hunt, but didn't care enough to ask yet.

"Hey Cas," I start to get his attention, deciding to just go for it. He turns his head to look into my eyes, waiting for me to continue. "Why did you help me out with this hunt?" He shifts his eyes, looking anywhere but at me. I narrow my eyes at him a bit, immediately knowing something is up.

"I wanted to hunt," He simply answers, but I don't buy it.

"You're a terrible liar, Castiel," I tell him with a grin. "Please, I know there are bigger fish to fry upstairs than these simple hauntings. Heaven is a busy business. So really, why did you come?"

Castiel looks up for a moment and then meets my eyes.

"I was ordered to keep an eye on you," He admits. I furrow my eyebrows, a bit confused.

"Why?" I ask, and then I gasp dramatically, exaggerating my actions. "Am I on heaven's hitlist?" I ask with a loud whisper as if they might be listening. He shakes his head.

"Ariel asked me to," He says, confusing me even more. "She knows you talked with Vermont." I stay quiet, surprised they knew that. Surprised that it's big enough of a deal to her that she asks Castiel to keep me in his sights.

"You should know, that Vermont is very dangerous, he's an angel gone rogue," He continues when I stay quiet. "You can't trust him, Kendall. When he does something, it's only really for his own benefit. He will let you fall as soon as he gets what he wants. You know how when demons make a deal, they have to hold up their end of the bargain? Vermont won't."

"Alright I get it," I speak up. "So I talked to this Vermont dude. Big whoop. Why would you stay this close to me for two days straight, though? Were you afraid I would talk him again?" I ask, still not really getting this whole private protection thing. Cas sighs.

"We know Vermont was planning on visiting you again," He admits. "And this time, he didn't plan on a friendly negotiation."

"What does he want from me?" I ask. Castiel stares into my eyes.

"He wants you to fight for hell."

Surprised, for the umpteenth time today, I stare back at him with wide eyes.

"For hell? He told me he was on the same side as Ariel?" I question confused.

"That's exactly why you can't trust him. He lies to manipulate you," Cas emphasizes. "I know that Lucifer is in his cage now, but before he was thrown in there for the first time, there was one angel who sympathized with him, and that angel, was Vermont. He is the only angel we know of that isn't loyal to God, but to Lucifer."

I sit there, processing all this new information for a moment, and I finally realize who I can and can't trust.

"Thanks Cas, for telling me this," I eventually say. The side of his mouth pulls up slightly in a small relieved smile.