Chapter Sixteen

| Winter Alexander |

As I walked into the school's main building alongside my new girlfriend, I couldn't help but let out a groan.

Jade laughed quietly. "What's wrong?"

"I have Agriculture first."

"Lucky! I start with Math."

"I really don't feel like feeding animals this morning."

"Well, I don't feel like memorizing quadra- whatever formula this morning, but I still have to do it, so don't complain about getting to hang out with cool animals," Jade countered, and I smiled in reply.

The indistinct chatter around us quieted our conversation for a minute, and I contemplated holding her hand. But I ultimately decided against it, and instead kept the conversation strictly school-related.

"You really don't like math, do you?" I asked, as we approached my locker.

"No, I hate it," Jade pouted. "Calculus is hard when you're dumb."

"Well it must be easy for you then, considering you're the farthest thing I know from dumb," I assured her, planting a small kiss on the cheek closest to me, which made her smile.

While keeping eye contact to my love, I collected my books and closed my locker door. It looked as if Jade was about to say something, when a presence of two more human beings came into the scene.

David had walked up to us, with Kara following close behind. He opened his mouth but the words came out of Kara's, "There you are Winter! David told me you'd be with Jade. Anyways, I'm throwing a party Friday night, and everybody's invited!"

"That means you too, Jade," David added, leaning in toward Jade a bit.

"Hey, you should totally come!" I exclaimed, also directing myself toward Jade.

"I don't know Winnie, parties aren't really my thing," she shrugged, and I bit my lip to keep a smile from erupting on my face. My actual family nickname came out of her actual mouth.

Kara rolled her eyes playfully, but she had a sort a knowing look to her current aura. "Oh, come on Jade! It'll be fun!"

Jade shifted her gaze to the floor, even though there was nothing interesting there, and mumbled, "That, that's okay, I don't really want to."

"I swear to God, Jade, if you don't come to this party I'm literally going to break up with you."

"Oh?" A deeper voice spoke, and I forgot we hadn't made our relationship public yet. "You guys are dating?"

I smiled sheepishly and Jade just laughed. "Yeah, as of this morning."

"Finally!" David exclaimed, pumping his fist in the air. "Jenna owes me ten bucks!"

Jade scoffed light-heartedly. "Really David? You put money on this?"

"I only do these things to show my love for you."

"Platonically I hope," I said, lowering my head in his direction.

David chuckled, and raised his hands in mock surrender, "Of course, of course."

"So," Kara interposed, "the party?"

"Oh, yeah, we're definitely going," I assured.

Jade sighed, exasperated. She shuffled her feet around, purposely not making eye contact with anybody. "Alright, fine."

The excitement nearly made me jump up and down, and I clapped my hands together. I think Jade will have fun, regardless of what she said.

She giggled quietly. "God, Winnie, you're too cute for your own good."

///\\\

"Hey, do you want to get ready for the party together?" I asked, Jade trailing behind me as we walked into the apartment.

"I would love to," Jade started, "but I have to, take care of some things. Is it okay if I just meet you there?"

A pout formed on my face, but I nodded. "Sure. Oh, and Kara wanted to know if you could stay over and help us clean up in the morning? I'm going to."

"Sure thing," she leaned over and gave me a light kiss on the cheek, "If you're there, so am I. Now, I'm sorry to leave you all alone, but I have to be somewhere in like, fifteen minutes."

"You're not out buying drugs, are you?" I joked.

Jade laughed, shaking her head. "Don't worry, I'll tell you at the party."

"Okay, I'll see you then I guess," I smiled. "Bye Jade."

"Bye Winnie."

///\\\

"'Ey! Winter! Have you seen Jade?" David greeted, somehow already seeming tipsy. I must admit it's kind of impressive, in a sense.

I shook my head. "No, she said she'd meet me here."

Kara walked up, grabbing David by the hand, seeing as he was beginning to walk over to a small group of freshman girls. She pointed towards the front door. "Winter, either your girlfriend or her super hot twin brother walked in."

"What do you mean?" My eyes traced the imaginary line from Kara's finger and ending at the front door. Jade was making her way towards us, as she normally does, except her loose locks weren't bouncing. In fact, her loose locks weren't there. My girlfriend's hair was cut short, with the sides shaved. It sat a perfect, still mess on top of her head. The black skinnies she put on this morning remained, but her top was changed. A black button up shirt - meant for guys, who typically have broader frames - and a leather jacket as well. Oh, how she looked insanely hot.

David's eyes widened, in an over exaggerated manner that made his intoxication moderately obvious. Jade stepped in front of us, and let David ramble, "My little demi all grown up! You finally cut your hair again!"

"Wait," I took a moment to comprehend, "this isn't a new thing? Also, Jade, you look so amazing it makes my knees weak."

She just laughed, a new confidence shining from within her. Truth be told I wasn't joking, but I was kept stable by my admiration for her newfound courage. Isn't it kind of funny how the same thing that makes me weak gives me strength? I supposed, and in that moment I almost believed she was some omnipotent goddess.

"Thanks Winnie, you look adorable. And no, this is not a new thing. I've done it before, but my mom made me grow it out, without being able to cut it again," she explained, as I blushed at her first comment.

"So now that you're out of her grasp, you're finally showing your actual identity? And that is, a demigirl?"

"Yeah. And it feels really good to finally be me."

"Are you ever going to need a binder? Because I'm sure my brother would let you have his old one. Since he got his top surgery he doesn't need it anymore."

"I appreciate the offer, but I think i just want to get my own, sorry."

David muttered an alright and grabbed Kira's hand, leading her towards the makeshift dancefloor.

I leaned over and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Good. Now come on, let's dance."

///\\\

"Wait a minute," Jade slurred, "How are we getting home?"

I giggled. "We're sleeping over silly, remember?"

"Right, right," Jade's face lit up. "Hey, we . . . we should go upstairs."

I nodded, grabbing her hand and leading her towards the stairs. Jade stopped so I turned to see why. She had gotten a phone call. Her countenance sobered, and the color drained from her face. Her skin, despite her dark complexion, had turned as white as a sheet.

"I, I need to go. I'm sorry Winter."

I didn't get a chance to ask what happened before she let go of my hand and ran out of the house.