Chapter Ten

| Winter Alexander |

Tears slipped silently down my cheeks as I lay on my bed, and I wondered if this relationship is worth it. Thinking back on all the times this girl has made me cry, and all the times she's made me happy, has left me speculating if the good outweighs the bad. Why did she have to kiss me? The question is posed not because I didn't enjoy the kiss, on the contrary. I just didn't know why she did it.

My thoughts were interrupted when there was a loud knock at the front door. I didn't want to get up to go answer it, I was a mess. Thankfully, I heard Autumn's quiet, hasty footfall near the entry. The creak of the door opening was heard, and a familiar voice rung through my ears. Except, it was weaker than I'd known it to be.

"Is Winter here?" the voice whimpered. Autumn's response was muffled but I heard footsteps echo down the hall, nearing closer to my closed door, so I'd say Autumn told her I was. There was a quiet knock before Jade opened my bedroom door. Her face was clear of makeup, though I could still see she had been crying, in multiple sessions maybe, from the combination of dry and wet tears covering her face.

"Jade, what's wrong? What are you doing here?" I asked as she just walked over to me without saying a word, and then pathetically started weeping.

"She kicked me out, Winter," she explained through her fresh tears. "I came out to my mom and she kicked me out. Just like that. She didn't even hesitate, and part of me hopes this is just a nightmare. I'm sorry for coming over like this but I, I didn't know where else to go."

Instantly, I pulled her into my arms, hugging her as tight as I possibly could without hurting her. "You can stay with me, okay? You can stay as long as you need."

She sobbed into my chest, but her words were still audible. "Why are you being so nice to me, Winter? I have been nothing but horrible to you, yet you keep being so amazing and kind and forgiving a- and, why?"

I laughed quietly. "Because Jade, that's what you do when you like someone. You give them the world, whether they deserve it or not. Sometimes they don't, and that's how you break. But you know what, Jade? I think you do deserve it, because you never give yourself enough credit," I let my chin rest on her head. "You may think you're some kind of cold, sarcastic asshole all the time, but I see you around your friends. I think you're the strong, independant one. That troped character who acts like they don't need anybody, and when they do need somebody, they hide it, and keep acting strong. I think you get scared that if you allow yourself to rely on someone, they'll leave the minute you need them the most, so you bottle everything up. You deserve to have someone you can rely on, someone that stays by you through everything, but you don't think so, so you shut everyone out. You keep everything in, but Jade," I inhale, "it's okay to let it out," I exhale.

"God Winter, you're going to make me cry even more," Jade smiled. "I hate to say so, but you're right. I'm absolutely terrified that on the day I need my friends the most, they'll leave."

Somehow it felt easy and normal to plant a kiss on top of her head, when I tell her, "I will never leave you, Jade." I laid back on the bed and Jade followed, nuzzling her nose into the crook of my neck, and it felt like butterflies. We lay there, and before we knew it, we were both fast asleep. We seemed locked together, like two puzzle pieces that fit perfectly interlocked with each other.

///\\\

My eyes opened, taking in the growingly harsh sunlight of the early morning. Jade and I were still connected, our legs were entangled and her arm was around my waist. Our hands were laced messily together, and at this time I saw how closely Jade's skin tone resembled the branch of the plant of her eponym. One of my hands cupped the back of her neck, as if I were subconsciously trying to pull her closer to me, and I smiled at the thought. I couldn't help but stare at Jade's sleeping face. She looked so peaceful, as if nothing was wrong, and in that moment, nothing really was.

///\\\

Early chapter because Halloween is my favorite holiday and although this isn't spooky or anything I figured, why not? So enjoy! And there will be a new chapter on Monday as well!

Love and hugs-Nicole<3