Chapter One

| Jade Summers |

Winter Alexander. Blonde hair, blue eyes, suspiciously extroverted, and somehow friends with everyone. It was in my very nature to despise her with all I had in me. I didn't dislike her because I was jealous. That's not even close. The main reason I hated her was because of the undeniable fakeness her persona projects. I mean, there's no way she's actually friends with nearly the entire school. I would go insane if I had that many friends, and so would any normal human being. Also, her near-white blonde hair cannot be natural. Not to mention her eyes. They're so bright and blue that they rivaled Nash Grier's. Those had to be contacts (along with the previously mentioned trash can's, but that's beside the point).

"Jade, you're staring at her again," David pointed out.

"Am not," I countered, though I immediately realized any resistance is futile.

"You know, one day, she'll notice your hateful glare, and will come over and talk to you," he said, "And we all know that's just your worst nightmare, isn't it?"

"Shut up," I smacked him lightly on the arm.

He rubbed his arm dramatically, as if my pathetic act actually did anything. "Wow, violent."

"Shut up," I repeated.

If you ever need somebody to keep you from lying to yourself, or somebody to keep you happy on a bad day (or both), David Gonzalez is your guy. He doesn't see people for their labels, he sees them for who they are. I think that's incredible, but never in a million years will I tell him so.

He just asks one thing of you: don't call him a white guy. He's a white-passing Spaniard, and is proud of his culture. Maybe a little too aggressively sometimes.

"Where's Finn?" I asked. "School starts in, like," I checked the time on my phone, "seven minutes."

"My guess is that she's probably lying in her bed, listening to Twenty One Pilots again." He sighed, acknowledging that this is too often the dilemma.

"I've lost count of how many times she's been late because of that!" I laughed.

"Hey guys!" Finn ran up to us, a slight panic in her voice. "I'm not late, am I?"

"Nope, just a few minutes to spare," David told her and she sighed in relief.

Finn opened her mouth to speak, but stopped as I watched her eyes widen in front of me. I turned around to face what she was looking at.

Much to my dismay, I saw none other than Winter Alexander walking over to where the three of us stood.

"Should I run, or?" I whispered to David.

"Oh my god. Jade, stop," he said, the annoyance in his voice clear.

"What? Am I being unreasonable?" I questioned, as Winter got closer.

"Yes," both Finn and David replied.

"Hello!" Winter greeted, and the first thing I noticed was that, out of all the socially accepted greetings, she had to pick the longest one.

"You're Jade, right?" she asked, and I nodded. "I don't believe we've met before. I'm Winter."

I eyed her skeptically, a large part of me hoping her little façade would drop right then and there. "Yeah, that's me. Hi. These are some of my friends," I gestured to my sides and said, "Tall one is David; pale one is Finn."

She smiled at the two. "Nice to meet you both. Jade," her focus shifted to me, "I was wondering if you wanted to hang out after school, maybe the library?" It's already March of our senior year, why now?

"Why the sudden interest?" I asked, and I could tell my bluntness surprised her. Personally, I found it kind of funny considering what I just asked is barely blunt compared to some of the other things I've said.

"Well, we've never even talked before, and you look interesting," said probably the most interesting looking girl in school.

"Oh, trust me, I'm just the opposite. I'm probably the most boring person you'll ever meet, and you definitely wouldn't want to hang out with me."

Winter rolled her eyes, with her smile still present. "Oh, I'm sure. But if you ever change your mind, give me a call."

I raised my eyebrows as my yearlong enemy handed me a slip of folded notebook paper, before she walked away. I unfolded it and saw a phone number along with her full name.

"Is that a heart?" David laughed, peering over my shoulder.

"No!" The word came out sharper than I intended, but I didn't mind, as it held up my reputation. I folded the paper back up quickly, shoving it into my bag. I turned to face my friends again, hoping they'd drop the topic.

"Um, Jade," Finn stifled a laugh, and every worse case scenario came to my mind. "You're blushing like mad right now."

"I am not!" I argued, even though I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks.

"Mhm, sure," David nodded, smirking. "Come on, let's get to class."

And we started walking.

///\\\

"So, are you going to call her?" David asked later that day, as we set up our equipment for band practice.

"Call who?" Taylor asked. She's always been nosy.

"No one," I said, trying to focus on setting up the microphone stand.

"Winter Alexander," David told her, and I groaned.

"She asked you out?" Jenna gasped, and nearly dropped the symbol she was attaching to her drum set.

"She didn't ask me out," I sighed.

"She totally did," Finn confirmed, laughing at my frown.

"Didn't," I countered.

"I can't believe the Winter Alexander asked you out!" Jenna squealed.

"Okay, I love you all, but stop. Winter did not ask me out, she gave me her number and asked if I wanted to hang out, to which I said no, and please don't gasp from shock, as if you are actually surprised I turned down the person that you all see as some kind of mythical creature, for some reason. Now, let's get to the actual band practice part of band practice. Why don't we start with Cold-Blooded?"

"Damn, alright," Taylor mumbled, pulling the strap of her guitar over her head, David doing the same with his bass. Finn and Jenna took their places at the keyboard and drum set.

"Ready?"

///\\\

Hello! So this is obviously a new story, and I hope you guys liked it! I'm also writing this with my friend Danielle, and you should follow her account, cryingtimes.

See you next chapter!

Love and Hugs-Nicole<3