Chapter Twenty-Four

| Winter Alexander |

I walked into a school to see a very excited David and Jade speaking. I also noticed that Jade was wearing the binder I gave her. I smiled at her complete attire: black skinny jeans with a white button down shirt, and a pleather jacket. We had come to school separately because Jade needed to have a quick meeting with her band members before school began. Jade's hair was unstyled, sitting messily on top of her head. I also noticed that it was filled with motion along with Jade's quite animated movements, which made me laugh a little. I took my place next to Jade and slipped my hand into hers. My touch must've triggered my presence, because which she then immediately looked towards me with a big smile on her face.

"Winnie, guess what?"

"What?"

"The Heartbreakers have a gig tomorrow! At this club downtown!"

"Wait," I said, "You're not 21."

"It's a club for all ages," she explained.

"Oh!" I smiled and gave her a small hug. "Congrats, Babe! Two days into adulthood and you're already going places!"

"You're going to come, right?" David interjected, "Could you maybe, possibly, bring Kara?"

David's cheeks turned pink and I laughed, saying, "Sure thing, loverboy."

"Don't call me 'loverboy'!" he complained, pouting like a two year old.

"I only speak the truth."

Jade, whom had been watching silently with a look of glee on her face, let out a small giggle and went to kiss me on the cheek. "You're amazing."

"I try."

"You succeed."

David made a fake gagging noise and our attention turned back to him. "You guys are so grossly in love I hate it."

"David, I've seen your search history. Don't lie—you love this," Jade said.

"You've seen that?"

"Yeah, have you ever heard of incognito tabs? You should try those sometime."

David's eyes widened. "Yeah, I'm gonna go."

As soon as David walked away Jade and I broke out in laughter. "Have you actually seen his search history?"

"Oh yeah," Jade answered through laughs, "So much blackmail material on there, if I wasn't his best friend I would have so much power."

"You're incredible."

"I know."

///\\\

"Are you excited?" I asked Jade. She was bouncing up and down, waiting to be called on to the stage.

Her head turned towards me, wearing an expression of pure joy. Her brown eyes seemed warmer and more vibrant than I'd ever taken note of, or maybe it was just in this moment. Her lips were pressed in a line to match her clenched fists, and it was all out of anticipation. "I am so fucking pumped."

"Remember," I said, "we have to kiss before, and kiss after."

"We're not robbing banks, Rosa. And besides, all those guys died."

"Just looking for an excuse to kiss you," I hummed.

Jade's flirtatious streak glistened and she rolled her eyes and said, "Like you need one."

I laughed and dove into the quick kiss, and just as we pulled apart, The Heartbreakers name could be heard from the speakers.

"Good luck Jade, and have fun out there."

She just nodded and went to retrieve the other members. I walked out of the makeshift backstage and went to sit by the bar. I watched as all five of them made their way onstage and I smiled at how happy they all looked.

"Hey guys!" Jade started as she reached the microphone, "We are The Heartbreakers, and I hope you enjoy the show!"

///\\\

As Jade, David, and the others walked out of backstage and into the main room, they were stopped by an older man, whom had an obvious receding hairline and was quite wide around the waist. He stopped and spoke to them for what felt like ages as I watched, but soon enough Jade found me and came over with an even bigger smile than before.

"Who was that?"

"A very important guy."

I prompted her to go on with my facial expression.

"He wants to give The Heartbreakers a record deal!" she exclaimed.

"Holy shit Jade!"

"I know!"

"So what are the details?" I asked, the aura of excitement still radiating.

"Well, once we all graduate," she started, a huge smile making its way on her face. But it didn't seem wholehearted.

"He wants the band to move down to LA." Jade's voice got progressively quieter as she ended her announcement.

"Los Angeles? So you're staying in California?" I asked, trying to keep my optimism. Though my mood kept dropping as I remembered the news I needed to tell her. News that certainly would be worse than what Jade just shared with me.

"Yeah! And would you maybe, uh, like to come with me? If all this really happens that is."

"Shit . . . I can't."

"Why not?"

"Jade, I got a scholarship, for NYU. It's almost a full ride and I've wanted to go there since I knew what college was," I said. I watched as her face fell, and any trace of happiness was lost. How fleeting that emotion is.

"So, that means, you're moving . . ." she said, putting everything together, until she suddenly added, "across the fucking country? And you didn't tell me earlier?" Now, to replace that lost happiness on her face: anger.

"I just got the letter yesterday! I wanted to tell you right away, but I was scared." It was a shit excuse, but it was the truth. I was scared—no, terrified—that Jade and I would have to end everything because we wanted to live out our separate dreams. Fuck, this was harder than I thought it would be.

"Fuck, Winnie," Jade sighed, running her fingers through her short hair, "I, I have to go." She ran out of the club.

"You couldn't at least be happy for me?" I scream, but the words dissolve before they can reach her.

I would have to run after her. It would have been easy to catch up with her short ass legs, but I just stood there, in a stunned silence. There must have been a million thoughts running through my head in that moment, and I couldn't focus on anything going around me. However, the one thing I could comprehend was David—running up to me, with what appeared to be a worried expression.

"Winter? Are you okay? Where's Jade?" At first he bombarded me with all kind of inquiries, but the questions easily faded into the second-rate live band and air of mixed smells. I did nothing but stand still, completely silent. I didn't know what I was feeling. Was it heartbreak? I thought I had regained my composure when my mind went blank, but instead a memory flashed. Images of my father beating my mother were all I could think. The lack of love in his eyes was the loudest thing and though it wasn't as intense as I once knew it to be, but it's here again now.

Though, the feeling is always here. It creeps up on me like a jumpscare in a horror film, in ways such as a mosaic piece of art. But, my mosaic was never meant to be pretty, or smooth around the edges. It was made up of loud, ugly neon and khaki colors, always altering my sentience. This is what I'm feeling now. This is what I'm feeling always. Heartbreak is there, sure, but it's too general of a word. This isn't solitary heartbreak. This is quite, a complete and utter affliction.