Chapter 3

"What?! He can't do that!" Adi was practically yelling.

"He has joint custody of me. He can if my mom allows it."

"And your mom really allowed it?! You said she hated him!" Katie wasn't yelling but she was talking louder than usual.

"She does but I guess she thinks I should get to know my sperm donor."

"This sucks! It's our senior year. And it's only the first quarter! We had so many plans!" Adi seemed to me the most mad. Surprisingly.

"I know but what can I do about it. He is technically my father and he has rights."

"A father isn't someone who creates it's someone who raises."

"I know Katie but I mean I can't do much."

The rest of the day was totally lame. We were all sad and had a dark cloud of pity and despair above us. When school ended I found Leo waiting by his car.

"I take the bus home."

"Well now you don't have to .Get in."

"Why aren't you with your family in Dallas I didn't ask you to suddenly show up in my life?"

He looked at the ground and got in his car. I got in and he started the car.

"I know you didn't ask me but it's time I should act like the father you deserve."

"Well you're 16 years late bro."

"I know and that's why i want you to come back with me to Dallas. I haven't been there for you and I want to make it up to you. I know I screwed up but all I'm asking for is a chance to show you I can be a great dad."

"Great dads don't abandon their kids. You can divorce mom but I'm your kid. You can't divorce me."

"I don't know how many times I have to say sorry Yesenia but I truly am."

We rode in silence the rest of the way. When we got home I opened the door and headed to the bathroom. I told Leo and my mom I had to take a dump and that I'd be out in a sec. I had such a big lunch today. I looked at myself in the mirror and lifted my shirt. I was so fat. I have stretch marks the size of Africa. God I can't even stand to look at myself. I kneeled down and threw up in the toilet. The A.C in the bathroom is pretty loud so no one can hear me. Good. The last thing I need is someone finding out about this. I get back up and brush my teeth. I get out and see my mom and Leo sitting on the couches.

"Yesenia Your father thinks it'd be a good idea to finish your high school education in Dallas. I also think it's a good idea that you get to know your father. Your dad talked to the school and they'll send your transcript to Ivy High School in Dallas. Your new high school."

My mom said it so calmly. Is she really letting me go?! I can't believe her.

"Mom this is so unfair. It's my senior year. I haven't even turned 17 yet! What about my friends?!"

"You'll make new ones."

I was so angry! Then I thought, wait I don't think Leo knows I'm bi yet. That will definitely stop me from leaving.

"Well then I think Leo should know something. I'M BISEXUAL! I LIKE GIRLS & BOYS!"

Leo's face was stunned then confused. He had a puzzled look on his face. After a few moments in awkward silence he finally spoke.

"Did you know Maria?"

"Yes, I've known for over a year

now."

"Okay then. You're bisexual sweetie. That's fine with me. At least I don't have to worry about boys too much."

He smiled and gave me a hug. I didn't hug back I just stood there awkwardly. He let go and told me to pack up because our flight left tomorrow at 9pm. I had one final day of school left in CA. Why was my life so unfair? I called Adi & Katie to tell them that my mom agreed to let me go. They were both sad and angry. We decided we wouldn't dwell on it and that we would simply just enjoy our time left. We also agreed that we'd Skype and text all the time and stay in touch. Moving to a whole new state, and a state that wasn't particularly gay friendly was scary. I packed that night with pure grief. I hated my life. I slept almost nothing and woke up extremely tired the next day. Adi picked me up for school and we stopped by Starbucks for breakfast.

"This is so retarded. I hate your dad. We can't even graduate together anymore."

"Yeah well at least you're not moving to a whole new state and school where you know no one."

"Well you have Katie and me. We'll always be there for you."

She smiled and hugged me. Adi and I weren't the hugging type but the situation demanded one. I said bye to my other friends that day and everyone seemed sad that I was leaving. I knew they'd move on within the next day. I got home and Leo told me he already had my stuff in his Cadillac. He handed me the tickets and I noticed they were first class. Fancy. Is he loaded? I wanted to ask but then I would feel weird. We boarded our plane and I sat down on the isle seat. It wasn't a very long flight. The fist thing I noticed when I set foot in Dallas? It's not my little home town.