Chapter Four: Betrayal...

It was nearing the end of the week and I was having such a good time staying with Haku. He was such a nice kid with a gentle nature, and was on his in becoming a really good friend of mine despite our almost ten-year age difference. He was kind of like a little brother to me. I had always wished I had a sibling, but alas I was never graced with one. We would stay up late talking about what interested us, watch movies together, take turns cooking, or taking a walk in the forest. I knew it was going to really upset me when it was time for me to leave. Today I was going visit Satomi, while Haku was out looking for herbs in the forest. I had promised her that I would visit her again, and I was not to break it.

The jingling of bells signaled my arrival. "Hello!" I called out upon entering. Satomi looked up from her sewing machine. A surprise smile broke out on her face.

"Akira, what a pleasant surprise." she said moving around the machine to give me a hug. I returned it just as willingly, happy that the woman really wanted me here. I pulled away slightly.

"I promised you, didn't I?"I teased lightly. Satomi swatted my arm playfully.

"Come in, come in. I was just working on this dress I was making. Want to take a look at it?" she questioned. I nodded my head eagerly, and walked over to the sewing machine. From where I was standing, the dress looked to be of an orange color that reminded me of the color of a sunset.

"I've been working on it for a few days, and I'm not sure if I should make it strapless or not? What do you think?" she asked looking at me expectantly. I furrowed my brows in deep thought.

"Hmm, either way I'm pretty sure the dress would be beautiful. Personally, I think it would look great with straps."

Satomi hummed in agreement. "I think you're right." She took some pieces of material and cut two evenly made strips from them. Then she got to work attaching them to the dress. I sat down on a chair that was nearby the sewing station. I just sat there studying the care and precision, Satomi, put into each part she did.

"How long have you owned this shop?" I asked breaking the silence. Satomi looked up from what she was doing.

"Probably for around twenty-five years. It was my mother's, and since I loved anything involving fashion I just took over the family business." she replied with a thoughtful look on her face. "How about you? What brought you here, dear? Pardon the rhyme." I giggled at that.

"Well...I was on my way to visit an old family friend in the Village Hidden in the Leaves, when I was kind of attacked." Satomi looked shocked at this, "But, I'm okay now. Haku found me, took me in, cared me back to health, and offered me a place to stay until I'm ready to leave."

"That was nice of him." she remarked. "Do your parents know what happened?" I couldn't help but lower my gaze when she mentioned my parents. Their deaths were still fresh in my mind. Satomi, must have noticed this because she started to apologize.

"It's okay. They um...died, not to long ago. That was the catalyst that caused me to leave." I explained telling half of the truth. Even though I was avoiding her gaze, I could still feel the look of sympathy she gave me. I decided to change the subject. "You, uh, want me to help you with anything?"

"Could you take some clothes that are in boxes over there and put them on the racks located near the side wall?" she questioned, glad for the change of subject. I nodded my head gladly for a distraction and set to work. The task wasn't that hard and it took me no time to finish it. Then, I went around cleaning some of the dust off of the displays. It didn't really bother me because Satomi had been nothing but kind to me since the moment I met her.

It was about three o' clock when I decided I should start heading back. Before leaving, I promised Satomi that I would visit her sometime. I liked Satomi. She was very friendly and had a motherly feel to her that was a form of comfort to me. It somehow reminded me of my mother. After making the hour and a half trek home I was greeted by the smell of delicious food wafting in from the kitchen. I found myself walking towards it, not surprised to see Haku standing in front of the stove.