"That's fine." I shrug, "You can stay here and fend for yourself."

He splutters and reels back. "You can't just- You can't just decide for everyone! You're not in charge!"

"Oh, I'm not?" My eyebrows flick upwards. "It seems to me that I do all the hunting, and the fighting, and the scavenging. I put food on the table and clothes on your fucking back. I keep you entertained and I keep you healthy. I keep you alive , Mark. If you want to live without all those things I do for you, that's fine. But I'm going with those men. "

And just like that, our futures shift.

***

I show up at the bus the next day, alone.

Even from a distance I see I'm expected. Gerard is pacing, Frank sits cross-legged on the ground. As I park next to the bus, Gerard rushes over and yanks open the door before I've even turned the engine off.

"You came back." He sighs, relieved. He practically climbs into my lap, throwing his arms around my shoulders and pulling me into his chest.

Chuckling and awkward, I give him a pat on the back and reach around his body to twist the key. His dark hair is in my mouth and my eyes, but I'm not bitter about it.

"Okay man, Christ." Frank reaches to punch Gerard on the shoulder, who yelps and yanks away. "Let her breathe."

I clamber out of the car and give Gerard a wry smile. "You need a haircut."

He grins, "You're lucky you found us all after we stole a can of shaving cream. A month ago we all looked like cavemen."

"Well," Frank grimaces, "At the tender age of twenty-five I can manage a moustache and a very sparse goatee. I just looked like a rat man."

I snort a laugh at the image.

"More supplies?" Gerard asks, and makes his way to the boot of the car.

"Belongings, mostly."

Frank's head wrenches around so hard I'm surprised he doesn't break his neck. His mouth has dropped open, and his hand flashes out to lock around my wrist. Gerard has frozen, eyes as big as dinner plates.

"Are you-" He splutters, "Do you mean-"

"Only if you're absolutely sure." I say firmly.

I barely get the words out of my mouth before Gerard is crowing and howling, and he lunges for me. He catches Frank in his embrace too, and we're all mashed together as Gerard jumps and spins and laughs. I wrap my hand in Frank's shirt to steady myself.

"This is going to be great!" Gerard gasps, earnest and sure. "You won't regret it, Nevaeh."

I roll my eyes and give him a gentle shove. "Be sure I don't."

"But ..." Frank has a hand on Pandora's head, ruffling her ears. "Where's your group?"

"They have things to pack, and I had to do another trip for supplies. I'll go back for them this evening."

Gerard nods and goes back to the boot, pawing through the bundles.

"And then we just, what, pick a direction and go?" Frank lingers, looking uncertain with this tactic.

"Simple as that." I shrug, but the unease doesn't fall away from his eyes. Carefully, I put a hand on his shoulder and squeeze. "It'll get easier."

Frank looks at my hand, raises one eyebrow at me. "Are we bonding now, then?"

I make such a noise of disgust that he laughs. I drop my hand and trudge back to Gerard. When Frank follows, he gives my hip a little bump with his own. His expression has eased, his eyes full of amusement.