Seven

I grab a backpack and fill it with my an extra change of clothes, toothbrush and toothpaste, a brush (don't know when I'll find the time, but what the hell) a couple energy bars, a book on famous classical architecture written in Ancient Greek, along with some other...um...necessities that really don't have to be named.

The camp store loaned Percy — since he was the leader — a hundred dollars of mortal money and twenty drachmas for non-mortal transactions as Chiron put it. Chiron also gave both Percy and I a canteen of nectar and a Ziploc full of ambrosia squares. He warns us again that it is to be used in small quantities as too much would quite literally burn is up.

Last but not least, I shove my Yankees cap in my back pocket and my bronze dagger up my sleeve. There is no way in Tartarus I'm leaving either of them here.

Percy packs the same things as me...with a few exceptions. Grover has on his fake feet and green rasta-style cap to pass as a human. Yes the Mist will hide his horns and hooves, but just in case we bump into a clear sighted mortal. That would end badly.

We wave goodbye to the camp and head off up the hill to Thalia's pine tree.

I love you, Thals. I'll come back.

I mentally send these words to Thalia. I know she can't hear me in the least, but it feels like the right thing to do.

Chiron and Argus wait by Thalia the pine tree. Chiron introduces the head of security to Percy and tells us that he's going to keep an eye on things. I crack a smile at Chiron's horrible pun. Argus is covered in eyes. It sounds really weird but it's true. You get used to it. Right now I can see the eye on his tongue rolling around, trying to see everything.

"Hey! Glad I caught you." I spin around. It's Luke. He's panting a bit from his run. My face heats up at the sound of his voice.

"Just wanted to say good luck," says Luke, clapping Percy on the back. "And I thought...um, maybe you could use these."

His blond hair dancing around with the sunlight. His eyes flicker and twinkle. But suddenly I'm not imagining Luke's stunning blond hair, it's black. And his eyes, they aren't blue anymore. They're green. An absolutely gorgeous sea green. And his face... Oh gods! Was I just imagining Percy? What is wrong with me?

"Maia!" says Luke.

I shake my head and peer at the sneakers in Percy's hand. They grow wings. Beautiful pure white bird wings. Percy drops the shoes. The pair of sneakers flap around helplessly on the ground, until they're wings fold up and disappear once more.

"Awesome!" exclaims Grover.

I've got to admit that they're pretty cool, but Percy can't fly. He can't accept the shoes. Even six feet off the ground would be suicide for him.

Luke smiles though, completely unaware of any of this. "Those arced me well when I was on my quest. Gift from Dad. Of course, I don't use them much these days...." His features sadden.

I blush harder. Luke is wishing me luck. He is giving Percy a gift. And even if he's giving it to Percy he's got to like me, right?

"Hey, man. Thanks," is all Percy says.

"Listen, Percy..." Luke seems uncomfortable. I subconsciously feel myself lean forward to hear the conversation better. "A lot of hopes are riding on you. So just...kill some monsters for me, okay?"

They shake hands and then Luke pats Grover's head and then the best moment of my life happens. Luke grabs me in a hug.

To sum it up: perfect.