Chapter 14

*insert the same nightmare that Violet always has here because surely y'all already know what it is if not you can refer back to chapters 7 & 9 :)*

I shot up in bed, well, in the hospital bed anyway, trying to catch my breath. My eyes frantically searched around the room for Max, afraid I might have a panic attack. As my breathing got even heavier I quickly poked Wes to try and wake him up.

"Wes." I whispered.
He mumbled something incoherently but didn't wake up.
"Wes." I said louder this time as I poked him again.
He batted my hand away but his eyes didn't open.
"Wesley." I said as loud as I could while shaking his shoulder.
"Hmm what?" He said while looking around sleepily.
"I-I need you to go get Max for me. Please." I looked at him with pleading eyes.
"Why? Violet what's wrong?"
"I'll tell you later just please go get Max before I have a panic attack."

After hearing that he quickly got up and rushed out of the room. I watched him leave before it got worse and suddenly I couldn't breathe and black spots were dotting my vision. I wrapped my arms around myself as I tried to catch my breath but I couldn't. It seemed like forever before Max finally ran into the room. Wes tried to follow him but Max told him no that it might just make it harder for me to focus.
Finally Wes agreed and Max came rushing over to me, and he easily moved me over on the bed so he could sit next to me, and wrapped his arms around me.

"Vi, sweetheart, you need to breathe. Okay? Look, look at me, focus, and breathe, in and out you can do it. Come on Vi I know you can. Look at me, focus on me, and breathing. Don't think about anything else." He said as he held me and rubbed my back soothingly.

I looked him in the eye and I held onto him tightly as I did what he said. I focused on his presence in front of me, and I focused on getting air back into my lungs. I could finally breathe, and while my breaths were shallow it was still better than it was. It also got better as I slowly calmed down and eventually I was just left with a few stray tears and hiccups.

"Vi, what happened? Wes said you just woke him up and said to come get me before you had a panic attack?" Max asked, pulling back a bit so he could see me as he spoke.
"M-Max...it w-was the n-nightmare again..." I stuttered out with a sniffle.
"Oh Vi... I'm sorry sweetheart." He said and I just nodded while leaning back into him and burying my face in his neck.

Suddenly the door swung open again and Wes walked in, suddenly angry at what he saw.

"What the hell is this?" He demanded when he saw us.
I looked up with wide eyes as I felt my panic attack coming back, I don't think he realized though because he still just stood there, mad.
"Hey Vi look at me you're okay. Okay? It's gonna be alright, breathe," Max said to me before turning to Wes, "Wes I suggest you stop acting like you're about to kill somebody unless you want your mate to have another panic attack which could very easily lead to her passing out or worse okay? So I suggest you stop." Max said while keeping one hand on my back, softly rubbing up and down trying to keep me calm.
"Why are you touching her so much? Why are you so close to her? I'm pretty sure you can help her from the chair next to the bed." Wes growled out and I hid my face back in Max's neck, as more tears slid down my face.
"That's just it. You think I can help her by just sitting ten feet away from her. But you don't understand Wes. This is more serious than that. Her panic attacks happen more frequently than you would think, and after all these years that I've been her best friend, it didn't take me that long to learn what helps her, and what doesn't. And you know what? Acting like I can't touch her like she has some bubble around her or something, does. not. help. She needs the comfort and support. And that doesn't happen from across the room. Okay? Don't tell me how I can help her when you don't even understand what's going on or why this is happening or how to help her." Max growls out, getting angry as well.
"M-max please c-calm d-down." I whispered to him.
He looked down at me and immediately guilt filled his eyes.
"I'm sorry Vi. I didn't mean to...I'm sorry."
"Look at me Violet." Wes suddenly demanded,growling, and I gripped onto Max's shirt tightly out of fear, hiding my face in his chest as tears steadily streamed down my face.
"Wes, stop. Before something bad happens." Max said while he held me comfortingly.
"I SAID LOOK AT ME VIOLET." Wes suddenly yelled, and I jumped, and ended up slightly farther from Max than I was and than I'd like to be at the moment, causing me to look up at him.
Tears continued to fall down my cheeks as I looked at him, not gonna lie I was slightly afraid of what he might do.
"Violet, baby, will you please just talk to me? I only don't understand because you won't talk to me, please love, talk to me so I can help you." He said, his eyes and voice softened when they saw my face.
"I-um I d-don't- I-" I stumbled over my words, not knowing what to say.
"Hey hey, it's okay. Calm down baby, we can talk about it later. It's okay, I promise." He said and kissed my forehead softly as he pulled me into a hug.

I nodded and let him pull me against him, and I buried my face in his neck as he held me. He kept his arms tight around me and rubbed soothing circles into my lower back where his hands rested. I heard Max get up and leave, leaving Wes and I alone in the room. Finally he pulled back slightly to look at me.

"Are you tired baby? I can let you go back to sleep if you'd like." He says softly as I stare up at him.
"Um.. W-will you l-lay with m-me..? I understand if n-not I just...th-think it might h-help me sleep a little better..." I asked quietly and extremely nervously.
"Of course I will baby anything to help you." He said and kissed my forehead again.
"I mean if you d-don't want to then you don't have to..."
"I do want to, love, I promise you I do." 
"Okay.." I said quietly while making sure there was enough space for him to get in the small hospital bed with me.

He carefully got into the bed next to me, and once I saw that he was comfortable I slowly moved closer to him, craving his arms around me, his body heat engulfing me in warmth. I didn't touch him at first though, afraid he'd push me away or laugh at me or worse. As he finally noticed my movements to be closer to him he encircled my waist with his arms and gently pulled me against him. I cautiously laid my head on his chest, letting one of my hands drape across his stomach. He began to rub my lower back in a circular pattern once I got settled.

"I'm sorry about yelling at you and getting so upset earlier. I guess I was just worried and then I came in and saw how close you were to him.... I just feel like I've barely had enough time to know you but what I do know is that I don't want to lose you, not now, not ever. I wish I had handled that situation better earlier, but my wolf went crazy when he saw you two, and he just made it all worse. I really am sorry, Violet, I didn't mean to scare you or anything like that." He said after a few minutes of nothing but silence.
"It's okay... I-I understand. I'm sorry for not giving you any kind of explanation or anything when I woke you up, I just really needed you to go get Max as soon as possible so he could help me before it got too bad.. I should've said something more to you though. I'm sorry." I said while looking away from him, slightly ashamed.
"Hey, no...don't be sorry for that... You couldn't help it. You needed his help. And you needed it sooner rather than later, I understand that you couldn't give me an explanation. And that's totally okay. And hey... I know I asked you to talk to me, but right now you should rest, okay? We can talk about it in the morning. It'll be alright."
"I..." I began to say something else, but decided against it and just settled for, "okay."
"Alright, now how about you get some sleep love? I'll be here if you wake up again, and if not then I'll be here when you wake up in the morning."
"Okay...." I said slowly, trailing off at the end.
"Get some rest darling." He said while kissing my forehead.

-1 hour later-

"Violet, sweetheart why haven't you gone to sleep yet?" Wes whispered as he looked down at me, eyebrows furrowed and concern clouding his beautiful blue eyes.
"I-I can't..." I whispered as I felt my throat tighten up and tears come to my eyes.
"Hey hey baby please don't cry. Violet, baby, what's wrong? Why can't you?"
"I-I'm scared that it'll happen again." I said quietly, my head dropping in shame.
"That what'll happen again?" He asked as he tilted my chin up so I'd look at him.
"I'm scared I'll have the nightmare again and wake up and have another panic attack." I said as loudly as I could, which came out barely above a whisper, and a single tear slipped out as I did so.
"Oh baby...I'm so sorry... But look, you need to sleep.. You don't need to worry about anything hurting you though.. I've got you, and I'll protect you no matter what I have to do. And if you do wake up again, I'll be right here for you. Please just try and get some sleep for me, please baby." He said and wiped away the tear that escaped.
"I-okay, okay I'll try. Can I turn over on my other side though? B-but I still want you to hold me..." I said, my cheeks reddening.
"Of course you can baby. And don't worry, I will."

I blushed while carefully rolling over onto my other side, and he immediately wrapped his arms back around me, putting one arm underneath the pillow and also my head, and sliding the other around my waist. I curled up on my side, and he pulled my body against his, pressing as much of his body as he could against mine. It was like we fit together perfectly, like we were made for each other. He gently put his chin where my neck and shoulder met, and kissed my bare shoulder before laying his head back down behind mine. I let out a quiet sigh of contentment, and felt him chuckle quietly. He kissed my exposed neck, and started gently drawing patterns up and down my bare arm. I shivered at the tingling sensation he left behind everywhere he touched me. My eyelids began to droop, and I was slowly pulled into the darkness.
But as I fell asleep I heard him quietly say, "Sleep well my love."