Chapter 3

"Vi, come on wake up Vi were here."
"Hmmmm?" I mumbled and rubbed my eyes.
"We're here."
"Mmm okay gimme a sec to wake up."
"Okay"

I sat up and stretched, yawning a little as I looked over at Max. He was staring at me with amusement dancing in his eyes.

"What?" I asked him while raising my eyebrows.
"Nothing, Vi. Nothing." He said with a slight chuckle like he was hiding something.
"Max."
"Violet."
"Ughhhh Max."
"What?"
"Why you gotta be like that?"
"Be like what?"
"Ugh fine. Come on let's just go run." I said as I jumped out of the car, slamming the door shut behind me.

I heard him following after me as I headed towards the small cave we discovered when we were pups. Ever since we found it, we used that cave to store our clothes in and shift in when we run. As soon as I got in I started stripping off my clothes and threw them in the corner. Max walked in soon after me and stopped in the entrance of the cage. When he walked in my shirt was off and my pants were halfway down my legs.

"Hey Max why don't you take a picture it'll last longer?" I said as I kicked my shorts into the pile with my other clothes.
"Vi, let me see your wrists." He whispered.
"W-what?" I was at a loss for breath.
"Please. Just let me look. I just want to make sure you're alright."
"I'm fine."
"No, you're not and you know it. Please just let me check it for you Vi."

I slowly turned around to face him, my eyes watering and my lip quivering between my teeth. His eyes were filled with sadness and pleading, this was something he really wanted to do.

"O-okay I g-guess." I stuttered.
"Really?" His eyes went wide as I nodded my head yes.

He slowly walked over to me and grabbed my hand lightly, pulling me over to sit against the wall of the cave. I realized that I was still only in my red bra and panties. He must've noticed it too, because he pulled his shirt off and helped me put it on.

"Thanks." I whispered as he looked down at my gauze wrapped wrists that I held in my lap.
"Let me see them, Violet." He said softly and reached for my hands.
"O-kay."

I watched as he gently grabbed my hands in his and pulled them towards himself. He presses a soft kiss to the backs of each of them before letting one of my hands fall to his lap. He slowly started unwrapping the gauze and my eyes screwed shut. I bit down hard onto my bottom lip as he pulled it all the way off. My eyes slightly squinted open to catch his reaction as he saw it. And I wish I hadn't.
He looked like he was going to cry, and I had only seen him cry one other time in my life. And that was when he first found out I was cutting. And it really hurts to see your best friend cry because of something you did. I really don't want to have to see that again.

"Max, please don't-"
"Shhhhh."
"But Max, you don't und-"
"Violet. Please just stop talking." He looked up at me with those big, tear filled eyes that I didn't want to see.
"I'm sorry." I whispered before shutting up and just watching him as he inspected all the cuts on my wrist.

I silently observed all of his actions as he looked at each and every cut on my wrist. Suddenly he laid my hand back down in my lap, gently picking up the other one. He started to unwrap the gauze on my other arm, revealing to him even more cuts than on the other arm. He covered his mouth with his hand as tears threatened to spill from his eyes. I quickly reached up and wiped a tear from his cheek as soon as I saw it fall. He looked up at me before looking back down at my wrists. Tears started to fall from mine and his eyes as he grabbed my hand and leaned down, starting to leave soft kisses on each of my cuts. After he made sure he got every cut, he grabbed my other arm to do the same thing.
By the time he was done we were both a mess. We both had a steady stream of tears falling from our eyes, he had dropped both of my hands and now his palms were pressed against his eyes to try and stop the tears. I started to fall forward onto him and he caught me and pulled me to him. He pulled me into his lap with my legs on either side of him and I slid my arms around his neck. He wrapped his arms around me tightly as I buried my face in the crook of his neck. He put his hands up under the back of my, I mean his, shirt and lightly scratched my back. After staying like that for a while, and when we were both finally able to stop crying, he pulled back and removed his hands from under the shirt, and I almost whined. He wrapped his arms back around me and let his head fall forward to rest on my shoulder.

"I'm so sorry Vi." He whispered.
"What are you sorry for? You haven't done anything." I whispered back.
"Exactly. I haven't stopped you from doing this."
"Max, you've tried before. You've told me I shouldn't do it. You've told me how bad it is. You've told me how much you'd miss me if I did die. You've told me how much you love me. And I know all of these things Max, sometimes that's just the only way to get rid of the pain from everything else in my life. But believe me when I say this Max, you are the only thing that has kept me from finishing the job when I start it. I love you Max, you're the best friend I could ever ask for, you're the only person that actually cares about me, and I don't know how I could ever thank you for everything you've done for me, and I don't know what I'd do without you. And I hope that you know how much I love and care about you."
"Vi, I don't know what to say, I love you too, you're my one and only best friend, you're beautiful in every way, you don't deserve to be treated the way that people treat you, you deserve to be treated like a princess. You shouldn't have to resort to this kind of thing just to make the pain of everything else in your life momentarily go away. I love you Vi."

I was silent, taking in his words. Is he right? I don't know. The only thing he said that I'm absolutely sure of is when he said he loves me. That, I know. We're best friends and were so close that we always tell each other I love you. It's not a big deal. But everything else he said, that hit me hard. Is that really what he thinks? Because if so.....all I can say is wow. I didn't think that he cared that much... I mean I know he cares a lot, but I didn't think he felt that strongly or thought that deeply about it. That, that means a lot to me. That he cares so much about me. He's the only one that cares in the first place, so the fact that he cares that much... I don't know what to say.

"You wanna go for a run now?" He said softly, and I kinda laughed.
"Yeah. Let's go Max."