Chapter 9

The hot water hit my body as steam filled the room. Thoughts running through my head, I stood underneath the steady stream of water flowing from the shower head. I thought about Max, I thought about my dream, I thought about a lot of different things. I wish life was easier. If it was, maybe I'd be....what's the word? Happy. Yeah, that's it. But, I don't know.

30 minutes of thinking later, I stepped out of the shower, wrapping a towel around my body. I walked back into my room and turned on some music. Quickly I pulled on my black bra and panties before slipping on an extra long, black long sleeved shirt. I then put lotion on my legs and grabbed my favorite pair of soft white thigh high socks, tugging them on as well. Back in my bathroom, I blow dried my hair straight. Not bothering with doing anything else, I walked back into my room. Plugging my phone up to charge, I slipped into bed and curled up underneath the blankets.

My feet pounded against the ground as I ran as fast as I could. I could hear it behind me, it's loud growls echoing throughout the woods around us. I suddenly looked down and realized that I could just shift. So I jumped up in the air, lunging and landing with my paws square on the ground. I took off running even faster this time, going as fast as I could. I knew it was still behind me, and I sure as hell wasn't about to slow down much less stop. I kept running, until I came upon a cliff. I turned around to go a different way, but saw a large dark brown wolf running at me. Just as it was about to grab me and throw me off the edge of the cliff though, a large, midnight black, gray spotted wolf came out of nowhere and leaped on the brown wolf. It growled in the brown wolf's face before clamping it's teeth around its neck and tossed it over the edge of the cliff. My eyes went wide as it turned to me and I was met by the wolf's striking blue eyes. I wanted to melt as his glacier blue eyes looked at me differently than anyone has before.

I shot up in bed, sweat covering my body as I panted for breath. I rubbed my wide eyes and ran a hand through my hair as I reached for my phone. I grabbed it and called Max.

"Max?" I asked as soon as he picked up.

"Vi?" He mumbled sleepily, I guess I woke him.

"I-um Max I need to talk to you, I-I don't know what to do, this is insane, I don't know what this means, I don't understand, Max I'm scared I-" I started rambling and talking fast but he cut me off.

"Woah woah hey easy Vi. Slow down. What's wrong sweetheart? Do you even know what time it is?"

"No, I-I didn't check I was just trying to call you as fast as I could."

"Vi, it's 2 in the morning. What happened?"

"I-I had the nightmare again, a-and.."

"Come on Vi, what is it sweetheart?"

"S-something ch-changed again." I whispered.

"Do you want me to come over there Vi?"

"I can't make you do that for me Max. You need sleep. I'll let you go now. I'll just tell you in the morning or something. B-"

"No no no no Vi. I'm fine, okay? You can talk to me. And I'm about to come over there. Because you don't sound okay. I'll be there in about 15 minutes okay sweetheart?"

"Um, okay I guess. I'll see you then Max." I said as my voice cracked and my eyes started to burn with tears that I'm sure will fall any second now.

"I love you Vi. I'll see you in a minute. It's gonna be alright."

"Okay. Love you too Max. Bye."

"Bye sweetheart."

He hung up, and I just dropped my phone onto the bed. I stared blankly at the wall, trying to hold everything in, not wanting to cry. My breathing suddenly became extremely labored, it was getting really hard to breathe. No. No no no no no no no. This isn't happening. Not again. Oh fuck. Where's Max? I need him to help me right now.

I suddenly bent over on the bed, my arms wrapped around myself as I struggled to breathe. The tears were now steadily flowing from my eyes, and my chest heaved up and down as I tried and failed to catch my breath.

I then thanked the moon goddess that Max had his own key to my apartment as I heard the door open.

"Vi?" His voice echoed throughout the large apartment as I still sat hunched over on my bed.

I tried to respond, but was unable to due to my loss of breath, so I was thankful once again when he came to my room anyway.

"Violet?" I heard his voice as the door creaked open.

When he saw me he immediately rushed over to my bed and leaned over me, trying to sit me up as he clearly knew what was going on.

"Vi! Come on sweetheart you've gotta breathe for me okay? Come on I know you can do it. You've just gotta calm down and breathe. Just focus on me sweetheart. Focus on me, and breathe. In and out, in and out. Come on sweetheart you've got this." he said as he held me but looked me directly in the eye as I tried to keep mine open.

I opened my eyes, looking at him, and not thinking of anything else. I focused on him, slowly calming down. I was finally able to catch my breath, and fell against Max as he pulled me to him and rubbed my back. I cried into his shoulder, and held onto him tightly.

"Vi, sweetheart what happened? Why did you have a panic attack? Are you alright?" He asked after sitting there for a minute.

"I-I, th-the dream, it, um, it, I-" I stuttered as I still had to take deep breaths.

"Okay okay wait a minute Vi. Shhhh it's okay you can wait to tell me until you're better. Let's just lay down for a minute or two." He responded and moved so that we were both laying back on the bed.

So we lay there for a bit, me holding onto him tightly as I breathed deeply and buried my face in his chest, him keeping one arm wrapped protectively around my waist as he stroked my hair with the other. Absentmindedly I began running my fingers up and down on his side in a steady rhythm. I closed my eyes and focused on the steady movements of my fingers. Slowly I felt myself getting closer and closer to sleep, and I could tell that Max was too. I suddenly shivered as the air turned on and it got really cold in my room. Max quickly and quietly pulled the comforter up over the both of us before closing his eyes again. I settled back into his side and let myself drift off to sleep.

~•next day•~

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That damn alarm clock. Interrupting my sleep. I groaned as I hit it with my hand, trying to turn it off.

"Vi you can't just hit it, you have to actually press the button." Max grumbled as he reached around me and turned it off.

"But it's so much easier to hit it." I whined.

"Yeah yeah whatever. I guess I should leave to get ready since I didn't exactly bring clothes."

"You have clothes here."

"Oh yeah I do, don't I?"

"Yeah." I said as I tried to get comfortable again, wanting to go back to sleep.

"Vi, sweetheart, as much as I'd like to sleep too, we've got to get ready for school."

"Ughhhh. Can we at least go to the coffee shop and get a drink on the way to school?"

"Sure Vi if that's how I'm going to get you to school, then I'm buying."

"Hell yeah you're buying."

"Now get up and get ready!" He said pushing me off the bed.

"Ouch! Why the hell would you do that?" I said as I hit the hardwood floor with a thud.

"So you'll get up, duh."

"I don't like you." I said as I got up and walked into the bathroom.

"You know you love me sweetheart!" He yelled after me.

"Mhm. Yeah whatever Max!" I yelled back at him.