Chapter 2

As I came upon the small coffee shop, I saw Max already inside ordering. Picking up my board in one hand as I hopped off of it, I walked inside. I walked up behind Max and put my hand over his eyes.

"Guess who?" I whispered in his ear, holding back a laugh when he reached up and grabbed my arm.
"Hmmm.... is it the Easter bunny?" He said sarcastically.
"No. I mean come on Max. I'm way cooler than the Easter bunny."
"Oh really now?" He laughed as he moved my hand and spun around to face me.
"Oh come on, Max. You know I totally am."
"Alright, alright I'll give that one to you."

I grinned and hugged him. He hugged me back tight and I breathed in his familiar scent that I loved. We stayed like that, I think he could tell I needed him, he must've somehow known something happened last night.
I looked down at my arm, had my sleeve gotten pulled up? Was the gauze showing? It didn't look like it had...
The voice of the person behind the counter broke us apart as they called his name, telling him his order was ready.

"Here you go Vi. I got you your favorite, a vanilla bean frappucino."
"Awww thanks Max. You know me so well."
"Well of course I do. I'm your best friend after all."
"Oh shut up you asshole."
"What did I do?"
"You know not to get smart with me."
"Ugh, really Vi?"
"Ugh, yes Max."
"Violettttttttt."
"What Maxxxxxxx?"
"Don't be a bitch."
"Me? A bitch? What? Why would you ever think I'm a bitch?" I said and put a hand to my chest, pretending I was hurt.
"Oh, I'm sorry, my mistake, I must be thinking of my other best friend."

Now I really was hurt. Just because he has friends other than me doesn't mean he can say shit like that. He knows what happened to my other friends.

"Wait, Vi no, that's not what I meant, not at all. I'm sorry, you know I didn't mean-"
"It's okay." I whispered, just wanting him to shut up already.
"Violet, please you know I didn't mean that. You know you're my best friend. You're the only one I really care about, and you know that. Please Vi, I really didn't mean to."
"Please just stop Max. I get it, you have other friends, and it's okay. I'm fine on my own. You're the only one I need anyway. You don't need to worry about me."
"If that's true, then why is there new gauze on your wrist, huh?"

I looked down, trying to avoid making eye contact with him. I tugged on my sleeve, not sure how he saw it underneath my sweater.

"Vi, please look at me."

Slowly I brought my eyes up to his, scared to see what he had to say this time. When I met his gaze, all that showed in his eyes was hurt and confusion.

"Why do you do this to yourself Vi? Why? You know how much I hate when you do this kinda stuff to yourself." He said sadly.
"I know." I whispered.
"What happened this time?"
"Can we talk about it later? I don't wanna tell you about it here." I said as I looked around at the people sitting at the surrounding tables.
"Yeah, as long as you promise to tell me."
"Of course Max. You know I tell you everything."
"Hey, you wanna go for a run? You look like you could use it."
"Yeah, that'd be nice."
"Alright, you ready to go?"
"Yeah let's go."

We walked out of the coffee shop, my frappucino in one hand, my board in the other. Max casually slung his arm around my shoulders. This is normal for our friendship. People always ask if we're dating, but we're just friends. I mean, I love Max and all, but I just don't see him like that. He's too close of a friend for me to see him like that.
We walked up to his dark gray jeep, and opened the door for me before going around to the drivers side. I tossed my board in the back as he started the car and I turned on my bluetooth, yes my phone was connected to his car's bluetooth, his was connected to mine too. I turned up the volume and pressed shuffle on my playlist.
The first song to play was "I'm Gonna Show You Crazy" by Bebe Rexha. I almost screamed when it did, I really liked this song. I started to sing every word and Max just laughed a little as he watched me, he was used to this kind of thing by now.
After a few more songs like that, I began to get tired as I realized how long of a ride we had before we reached our favorite place to run. As the realization hit me and all I wanted was a nap, I leaned over onto Max's shoulder as he drove.

"You tired Vi?"
"Mmhmm." I said as I yawned.
"You can take a nap on the way there. We still have a while to go. But I'm sure you knew both of those things."

I just laughed lightly before leaning on him again and closing my eyes. I faintly felt him softly kiss my forehead as I drifted off to sleep.