Chapter 7

Running. I was running. As fast as I could, through the woods. It felt like I was running from something, but what?
I suddenly heard a loud growl from behind me, and I knew I'd probably find out soon if I didn't find a way to escape it.
I ran faster and harder, and looked around. Was I really alone? Normally I only run with Max.....

"MAX?" I yelled out loudly, hoping that he could come help me.

But I got no response. I guess I really am alone... I guess this is how it should be though, I mean I know I kinda drag Max down sometimes with the whole scars thing and all, but I didn't think he'd actually leave me.
Maybe I should try mind link?

"M-Max? Are you there?" I asked through mind link, getting more scared by the second, as it got closer.

Once again, I got no response from Max. Of course. I'm all alone. Except for whatever or whoever is chasing me.
Screw it. I'm just gonna shift.
I jumped and shifted in midair, my paws landing on the ground gracefully. I took off running again, but faster this time since I was in wolf form. I could tell it was getting mad as it growled louder than before. I growled back, but of course I wasn't going to turn and look back at it. That would kinda ruin my whole escape plan.
Suddenly I skidded to a stop as I came upon a cliff. I looked over the edge of it and I couldn't see the bottom. Fuck. What the hell am I gonna do? Just then a large brown wolf came up and lunged at me, tossing me off the cliff.

I shot up in the bed, breathing heavily. I was sweating and it was hard to catch my breath.

"Are you alright sweetheart?" Max's worried voice came from next to me.

His arms were still wrapped tightly around my waist and he sat up next to me, his eyebrows furrowed, frowning. I turned my wide eyes towards him and gripped onto his upper arm. I held on tight, trying to breathe properly. Unable to speak, I gave him a half nod in response to his question. I turned my body to face him and buried my face in his neck as I wrapped my arms around him. He got the message and began rubbing up and down my back, holding my body close to his.

"What happened sweetheart?" He asked lightly once I had caught my breath.
"I-I I had a n-nightmare." I stuttered, trying to get the words out.
"....was it the same one?"
"K-kinda. But it seemed different."
"Different? Different how?"
"Um, I wasn't the younger version of me. I was this me, and I was in human form at first. I, um, I-"
"You what?"
"I-I yelled for you. Hoping you were somewhere nearby and you could help me somehow. You didn't answer. I tried mind link, and you still didn't answer. That's never happened before. I, I felt really.. alone, I guess? I felt like I was unwanted, it was like you ditched me or something. Like you didn't care about me at all anymore. I didn't know what to do...."
"Vi, I'm so sorry sweetheart. It was just a dream though, I would never."
"I know. And there was one more thing..."
"What is it?"
"I saw it."
"You saw it? It being whatever chases you."
"Yes. I don't know who it was, but it was a wolf. I saw them as they lunged at me and threw me off the cliff."
"What did the wolf look like?"
"It was big, not that much bigger than me, not any bigger than you. It had a dark brown coat, almost like the color of chocolate. Oh, and it had bright green eyes."
"Vi, that's really detailed. Do you know what could've triggered the nightmares to come back? Has anything happened recently?"
"Other than the usual no not that I know of."
"Do you think something might happen soon? Like before? When you'd have the nightmares again right before something big was about to happen."
"Maybe? I don't know... what could be about to happen?"
"I'm not sure... but I guess we'll find out."
"If we're even right."
"I'm sorry sweetheart." He said with a sad look in his eyes.
"At least you know why I haven't been sleeping lately..."
"Really Vi? Why didn't you tell me this was happening?"
"I don't know, I guess I just thought it wasn't that important."
"Vi, that is important, especially if you're losing sleep over it. Do you want to try to sleep again?"
"But what if I just have another nightmare?"
"I'll protect you sweetheart."
"Promise?"
"Promise."
"Okay..."

He pulled me back down to the bed with him as I sighed. He wrapped his arms around my torso and buried his face in my neck, in a childlike way. I smiled as I settled in his arms,kissing the top of his head lightly.