Chapter 6

I awoke to someone pulling me out of the car and carrying me. Max. I snuggled into his chest as I rubbed my eyes a little.

"Shhhh it's alright sweetheart I got you." Max half-whispered as he walked inside.

I faintly nodded as he began walking up the stairs, towards his room. He opened the door to his room, walking inside and towards the bed.

"Wait." I whispered to stop him.
"What's wrong sweetheart?"
"Can I have one of your shirts to wear to sleep?"
"Of course Vi. I'll go get you one." He said as he set me down gently on the bed.

I watched as he walked towards his dresser and pulled open up one if the drawers. He rummaged around for a bit before pulling out a black t-shirt. He turned and walked back towards me, the shirt in hand.

"Here you go Vi." He said as he handed me the shirt.
"Thanks Max." I said quietly and turned to go to the bathroom and change.

Once I was in the bathroom I changed into his shirt, leaving my shorts, sweater, socks, shoes, and hat in a pile on the counter. I looked in the mirror and caught sight of my wrist, I need to change the gauze....

"Hey Max?" I said as I opened the door a little.
"Yeah Vi?" He responded looking up from his spot on the bed.
"Um, do you have any gauze or anything that I can use?"
"What? Why do you need it?" He asked and was at the door opening it more within a second.
"Max, it's okay, I just need to change the gauze on my wrist." I said as I gently put a hand on his chest.
"Oh Vi, sweetheart please don't ever scare me like that again."

Max pulled me into a tight hug, burying his face in my neck. I wrapped my arms around him, trying to comfort him as best as I could.

"I'm sorry Max. I just needed to change out the gauze that's on my wrist now. I didn't mean to worry you. I'm sorry." I whispered to him as he held me tight.
"Shhhh, I know sweetheart, I'm sorry. I just didn't know what to think considering everything and I got worried. It's not your fault. It's alright, I promise. I could never be mad at you." He said as he began to rub my back comfortingly.

I stayed silent, just leaning into the warmth of his comforting embrace.

"Vi?" He suddenly said, but quietly.
"Yeah Max?" I whispered back.
"Will you let me rewrap it for you?"
"Um, yeah, sure, I guess."
"If you don't want me to then I don't have to."
"No, no no I do, I really do, I'm just not used to anyone else wanting to do these kinds of things for me. Not even you Max."
"I know, I know. I'm sorry about that. It's usually just too hard for me to see you like that, for me to see your cuts, your scars. It hurts me, to see that part of you. But I'm going to face it. Because I know it had to hurt you just as much as it hurts me, probably more. And I want to help you through the pain, sweetheart."
"Thank you Max. I appreciate it."
"I know Vi. You're welcome. Now come on. I'm gonna fix you up."

And with that he picked me up and spun me around, causing me to squeal with laughter. I giggled and shrieked as he spun me around some more before setting me on the counter by the sink. I watched as he dug around in some drawers before he had everything he needed. He walked over and stood next to me, before moving to stand in between my legs so he could get closer. He looked up at me before turning back to my wrist. He carefully unwrapped the gauze that was already on my wrist and tossed it in the trash. He faltered when he looked back down at my wrist, but only for a second. He quickly regained his composure, and grabbed some antibiotic cream. He spread it over my cuts, rubbing it in. It burned and I cringed, whimpering.

"I know sweetheart I'm sorry but this will help it." He said as I bit down hard on my bottom lip, surprised when I didn't draw blood.

He gently rubbed the back of my hand, while looking in my eyes calmingly.

"Alright?" He asked me, referring to the burning.
"Alright." I breathed, letting him know that he could continue.

He grabbed a roll of gauze and began to gently but tightly wrap it around my wrist. He finished wrapping it and secured it so that it'd stay.

"All done." He said as he looked up at me.
"Thank you Maxy." I said with a smile.
"Your welcome sweetheart." He said with a slight chuckle while shaking his head.
"Can we sleep now?" I yawned.
"Yeah, do you want me to carry you Vi?"
"Maybe."
"I'll take that as a yes." He said and cradled me in his arms, walking out of the bathroom.

He carried me over to the bed, laying me down on one side before moving away from the bed. My tired eyes watched him in confusion, thinking he was leaving me. But I soon realized different as I watched, following his movements. He pulled the curtains closed, and turned off the lights, making it dark, before walking back towards the bed. He climbed into the other side of the bed, laying down next to me. I rolled over to face him, shivering. It's always really cold in his apartment, and I honestly don't know how he deals with it all the time, I'm always freezing.
I guess he noticed me shivering, because he pulled me to him and pulled the blanket up over us more. I cuddled into him, burying my face in his chest as he wrapped his arms around my waist.

"Get some rest sweetheart." Max said quietly while pressing a kiss to my forehead.
"I don't think that'll be a problem." I laughed as my eyes fluttered closed.