It's Just a Magic Trick (Sam Wilson x reader)

Start from the beginning

"That hurts, (Y/N). That truly hurts me," he joked, pulling out his phone. He scrolled through several pages worth of pictures until he finally came to the one he was looking for. "Okay, here. That's me in my gear." He held out the phone to you, so you slowly took it and studied the picture, looking back at him skeptically.

"This is you and the Captain. You look so happy," you mocked, "what would he say if he could see you now? Wouldn't he be hurt too, knowing that you were about to deface his action figure?" Handing him his phone back, you shook your head slowly and sighed, "I don't know, Sam. The male ego is pretty fragile, and this feels a little selfish."

Sam pursed his lips slightly and sat quietly for a moment, unsure of what to say. You weren't what he expected, and he didn't know why he was suddenly so attracted. He slid his phone back into his pocket, looking away for only a few seconds. When he turned back you were holding out the small figure, now a near exact replica of the picture you had just seen.

"Holy shit!"

"Hey, you wanna maybe keep it down? I'm trying to keep a low profile here," you whispered, looking around cautiously for anyone who may have been watching.

"Sorry, sorry," he whispered back, standing again and turning the figure over in his hands as he continued to inspect it, completely in awe of your work. "Will you come to the tower with me? Meet everyone? I think you have skills that we-"

You knew it was too good to be true, he was too friendly. Before he finished his thoughts, you clapped your hands together gently and disappeared.

"Wow," he sighed, staring down at the spot that held you only seconds ago, "that was pretty damn cool."

~~~

"That was so stupid," you mumbled to yourself, walking up the stairs to your apartment. "Why did I do that? So stupid." It was a guarantee that he would be looking for you now, seeing that you could teleport along with the transformations you could do. You really weren't the best at hiding, but you knew that you didn't want to be known, especially on such a high profile team as the Avengers.

Fumbling with your keys for a moment, you stopped, closed your eyes and took a deep breath to regain your center. Letting it out slowly, you leaned back against the door and opened your eyes, only to see Sam standing there. You were just about to put your hands together again to leave, but he quickly protested.

"Please, don't! Just hang on a minute," he pleaded, both of his hands in the air and very slowly walking towards you. "I just want to talk to you, I promise. No tricks, no talk of Avengers, or SHIELD, or HYDRA, or any of that, okay? Just you and me."

"Okay, so talk."

He looked around the hallway and back to you, "out here?"

"You seem like a really nice guy, Sam. You really do, but I don't let just anyone into my apartment. I've had...trouble with that in the past. It's taken me a long time to reinvent myself after the last time I trusted someone."

"That group that we aren't supposed to talk about?"

"Yeah," you sighed. "So why are you here? I must say you found me in record time. That was, what? Twenty minutes?"

Sam laughed quietly, looking down at the floor as he began to walk closer to you, slowly approaching as if he were still worried that you would disappear again. "I have a pretty resourceful team that helped me. I can't take all the credit."

"Well, that's just fantastic. I suppose I'll have to start over. Again."

"Why?" he asked, now standing directly in front of you, your bodies almost touching. "Why do that? I told you that I won't pressure you, and I meant it. I'd just like to get to know you better, really. The real you, though."