Hesitant Propositions

Start from the beginning

Frank and Gerard exchange a look, but this one is easy to comprehend. It's a silent bet that I'm wrong and that failure is inevitable.

It's really not that complicated; it's a simple case of drilling a hole through the floor of the kitchen. I run an extension lead through the hole, attach it to a plug socket, tape it down, and plug in the freezer. The freezer is a bitch to haul, and it takes Frank, Ray and myself to do it, but we wedge it inside. It's just squat enough that it fits, though it does scrape the ceiling of the compartment, but that's a good thing. At least it won't move around much. Still, I guard against this possibility too using harnesses that I nail to the walls. Secured in place and snug in it's new home, I fill it with the food I've brought.

"Lucky that you picked one that opened at the side and not at the top." Gerard says, clapping me on the back.

"It wasn't an accident," I reply, "I chose that one specifically."

"Well," says Ray, nodding appreciatively, "Lucky then that you drilled in the right place and ended up in the kitchen."

I'm already shaking my head, frowning at their assumptions. "Also no accident. I measured the space."

Frank's wiping sweat off his forehead, chuckling quietly. "Of course she did."

I send him a grimace, because his tone isn't impressed, it's just unsurprised. "I can't stress enough the convenience of a freezer and frozen food. The power grid is still up in many areas because there's less people to use that electricity. When the outbreak happened, plenty of supermarkets, shops and suppliers never bothered to turn off the lights. That means food is still frozen, and it's still sometimes good to eat. Meat, vegetables, fruit, deserts. It's all still there."

"Is this a good time to tell you that I'm a vegetarian?" Frank asks, voice overly innocent.

My glare is murderous. "What is it with you idiots and your habit of leaving it until the last possible moment to tell me important information?"

He throws up his hands, mouth open indignantly. "It's not like I knew you were bringing more food!"

"You'll need whole different sources of protein!" I snarl, "Is there anything else you need to tell me?"

"No!" He snaps.

We glower at each other for a moment, distaste shining clearly on both our faces. Gerard coughs, and I'm distracted.

"Let's break."

"I don't need a break, I've only just started." I roll my eyes, and move back towards the car.

Gerard gets in my way, frowning. "You and Frank worked all day yesterday with barely a moment to breathe. You didn't eat properly. You're insisting we take better care of ourselves, but you're not setting a good example."

He squirms under my scrutiny, uncertain as to how I will take his little speech and his demand. Honestly, it sounds perfectly reasonable. But I let him sweat a moment more.

"Okay." I say finally, trying not to spit it through gritted teeth.

Gerard beams, ecstatic that he has managed to persuade me. The four of us trudge inside, and find Mike in the kitchen.

"This is decent handiwork." Mike nods, and he's inspecting the hole I've drilled and the wire taped down.

"Thank you."

Gerard makes sandwiches for everyone, and we linger mostly in silence as he works. I stand at a counter, arms crossed, Pandora leaning against my hip.

"Has she ever attacked anyone?" Ray asks. His hair is tied back, and he's perched on the counter opposite me, legs crossed. Frank is sitting on the floor beneath him, back against the cupboard. It doesn't feel cramped, just pressed in close. They're obviously used to the proximity. I'm not.