Not Again- Chapter 5

Cher's POV:

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock. I turned over and pressed the snooze button.  I was about to fall asleep when I sat bolt upright and remembered why I had turned on the alarm clock last night in the first place.

I leave today. I won't see Mermaid or my parents until December.

Tears threatened to spill out of my eyes. I knew leaving would be hard. I won't be able to get used to the fact that Mermaid won't be a couple of minutes away when I need her. I knew I had to make sacrifices in order to reach my dream. I was so sure I was willing to sacrifice everything, but I don't think I will ever forgive myself if I hurt Mermaid. She's so sweet and innocent and naive. Hurting her is like hurting a puppy.

I slowly got out of my warm comfortable bed for the last time for a long time. I looked around my bedroom and saw the bare walls. I had packed everything up a week before Ariel's Sweet 16. Why? Because I don't know if I'll even be returning. I slowly changed out of my pajamas and put them in my carry-on bag I'll take with me in the car. I slipped on a pair of my favorite black leather jeans, and the off the shoulder white sequined shirt that Mermaid bought me. All for good luck. I got my hair up in a neatly done bun, and did my usual makeup. I looked at the clock and saw it was 4:45 A.M. I slipped my phone charger into my bag, slipped on some white heeled high tops and exited my bedroom for the last time.

I saw my parents were ready for me downstairs. We headed off towards the car and my dad started it up. By the time I finished checking to make sure I had everything ready for my 6 month trip, it was 5 A.M. I remembered I promised Mermaid I would call her at 5 to say goodbye again. I wanted to go over, but I'm sure her parents, and even Ariel, wouldn't be too happy to hear the doorbell ring at the crack of dawn. So instead I called her.

(A= Ariel, C= Cher)

RING! RING! RING!

She picked up right before her voicemail did.

A: Ello Brat. *sleepy tone*

C: Hey Mermaid. Remember when I told you yesterday I would call you today?

Ariel seemed more wide awake after hearing this.

A: Yes I do. *trying to hold back tears* I'm going to miss you Brat. I'll promise to watch every single bit of news on the X Factor and every single episode. I'll make sure to see how far my best friend will advance. I know you will get far Brat. I don't want you to leave *teary chuckle* but we both know you need to go in order to complete your dream. Good luck Brat. Love you.

C: Dammit Mermaid. I was trying so hard not to cry. But you make it impossible.

A: You know you're going to miss your emotional best friend through. *teary giggle*

C: Never said I wouldn't. Alright Mermaid I know you're sleepy so I'll cut to the chase... I promise to Skype, call, and text you every single day. I promise to not lose contact with you. I know this is a hard promise to keep, but I'll try my hardest to keep it. Love you Mermaid. I'll miss having you so close to me. If I break this promise, please keep in mind that I still love you. Next time you see me please just tackle me in a hug, and, if you really want to, give me a lecture as to how I left you alone and whatnot. You know what I mean. I'll miss you over dramatic, loveable, charismatic, friendly, and stubborn best friend.

A: I'll miss you too Brat. Bye Brat. Have a nice time and don't forget me.

C: Goodbye Mermaid. I won't forget you. That's a promise.

*End of Call*

This time I didn't bother in stopping my tears. I continued crying for an entire hour and a half until I cried myself to sleep. I was half ways to the X Factor house, but I didn't care.

Harry's POV:

4:30 A.M. read my alarm clock. I will be leaving to London again in half an hour. I was waiting for my mum and Gemma to come downstairs. I know they don't want me to leave. I don't want to leave myself, but I do want to complete my dream.

I'll be back for Christmas, but that's a long time away. 6 entire months from seeing Mum. 6 entire months from seeing Gemma. 6 entire months from seeing her.

Flashback

"Come on Ary! The show's about to start," yelled 13 year old me to Ariel that was in my kitchen.

"I'm hurrying Haz. Maybe if you would've helped me with the popcorn and tea I would've been there already," responded 13 year old Ary.

Even though we were only 13 at the time, the sass in her voice was always something I loved. I mean a cheeky me and a sassy her, we balanced each other. She knew when to turn off my cheekiness and I knew when to shut off her sass.

Ariel came in and sat next to me on the floor in front of the TV. She set the popcorn bowl in between us, and handed me my tea while she placed hers next to her.

"Thanks Ary! I don't know what I'll do without you," I said with a cheeky smile at the end.

She just rolled her eyes and paid attention to the TV. This was our Friday ritual ever since we were 5. She would come over and we would watch the X Factor together. Even though she acts like she's annoyed with me, I know she's not. She's just kidding because the next thing I know she's talking to me as though nothing happened.

"Hey Haz don't you just wish that we can be on that show once we're old enough to participate?"

"I actually wish that all the time. I can just imagine it. You and I going there and amazing the judges. We'd get through and eventually we will have our own fans urging us on and voting for us. But sadly we can only wish."

"Don't sound so sad Haz. We can audition when we are 16. You and I."

"You sure about that Ary?"

"Of course Haz. Come on let's make a pinky promise on this."

"Ary we're too old to be doing pinky promises."

"Oh come on Haz don't let your inner child down. You know you want to pinky promise."

"Fine fine. But only because you know me so well."

We crossed our pinkies together. We promised to each other we would go together to the X Factor and do exactly what I planned.

End of Flashback

Soon I found myself smiling. I know it's ridiculous to remember that now because I broke that promise. I broke our dream. I broke everything off over one stupid mistake and my own damn temper.

Before I could over think anything, I heard Mum and Gemma coming down the stairs. I noticed Gemma was trying to be strong today since she forced a smile on her face and willed her tears not to spill. However Mum was a different story. While the other day she was excited to get me to London, it seemed today she was trying to do anything that will delay us leaving.

The only difference from today to the other day was that she wasn't sure that I would get into the X Factor, but now that I'm in it seems as though she's regretting me getting in. Although she would never say this aloud, I can see it n her eyes. She doesn't want to see her little boy leave. Being away for 6 months will be hard for Mum. I would say she has Gemma, but the day after tomorrow she returns to school. Mum will be alone unless I call her or Gemma does.

Before we got into the car Mum managed to squeeze the life out of me, and started to cry.

"I'm so proud of you so far Harry. I'll miss you, but seeing you succeed in life will make it up. Go on and show everyone how talented you are."

"I'll miss you too Mum. I don't want to leave either, but I'll make sure to call you when I can."

"Oh that reminds me Harry, here." She handed me a folded up piece of paper and told me, "It's Ariel's cell phone number. Amelia gave it to me so I can check up on her once day while she's at work."

"But, why-"

"Ariel might not know you have her number, but you never know when you'll need it."

"Thanks Mum."

"Now come on. Let's get you to London. It's already 5."

I silently climbed into the car and debated on sending Ary a message. I had my own cell phone, so I can text her. I decided on sending her 5 words. So I composed a new text message. It said:

I'm sorry and goodbye.
-Harry

Ariel's POV:

As I hung up my phone, I immediately felt the tears start streaming down my face. I lost another best friend. I know Brat said she wouldn't break her promise, but I know she will forget me once she starts her shows. She will be so busy trying to through everything that she will forget me.

I heard my phone vibrate and I scrunched my eyebrows. Who would message me at this time of the day?

I unlocked my phone as saw it was an unknown number. The next 5 words that I read made my tears worse.

I'm sorry and goodbye.
-Harry

Harry you bloody coward. How dare you try to apologize to me through text?! I honestly hope you forget me when you start everything for the X Factor. If you really were sorry you would've apologized to me in person.

The only way I could calm down my tears is by either writing a song, or rethinking about the wonderful date I had with Logan yesterday. I found myself thinking about the date instead. Why? Because if I write a song now outside, then my parents will hear me because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't finish on time before they woke up.

Flashback

"You're on Lerman!" I said with a flirty tone.

On the way to the bowling alley we flirted some more and just got to know each other more. Something Logan asked me on the way there caught me off guard.

"Hey Ar, if you really are such a big fan-"

"I'm not a big fan. I'm a demigod there's a difference." I added a cheeky smile at the end.

"Ok well if you're a DEMIGOD, why didn't you recognize me at the shopping mall yesterday?"

"Oh that. Well I honestly don't know. I guess it was because I was so distracted with my new phone and messaging Cher, I didn't realize that I crashed into my favorite actor. But it was worth it. I mean I'm getting to know you for who you truly are and not someone that the media and social networking site tend to make out. I'm getting to know you as Logan Lerman an average teenage boy, not the Logan Lerman who became famous because of the Percy Jackson movies."

Logan stared at me intently with those hypnotizing blue eyes. Gosh I'm such a sucker for colored eyes.

"I guess you're right. I love that in you so far. You now know who I am yet you're still treating me as a normal person."

"That's because you are Logan."

"True. But in everyone else's eyes I'm just an extremely famous actor, which by the way no one knows I'm here in England for vacation, who has come out in a number of films."

"What do you mean no one knows you're here Logan?"

"I mean exactly that. I mean my family knows I'm here, but a friend of mine, that I've had even before I was famous, owns a small house here in Cheshire. So here we both are in Cheshire. Well both of us and 2 other friends. They are also quite old friends."

"Don't say that Logan! You're making yourself sound old." I added some laughter at the end.

"True. I'm not much old either. Only a 2 year difference."

We reached the bowling alley and he opened the door to me just like a gentleman would. We got our bowling shoes and sat a one of the empty seating areas to tie them up. When we finished he asked me if I knew how to bowl. To be quite honest I didn't. This was the first time I was actually going to bowl since the last time... The night ended on a sour note.

He started teaching me the basic standing positions, what to do and what not to do, what direction to bowl your ball towards, and lastly when to let go of the ball. On this last step he put his arms around me. One arm was placed over my right wrist while his left rested on my waist. I could feel his breath right next to my ear when he was telling me what to do. To be honest again, I wasn't paying any attention. I was just paying attention as to how Logan was so close to me and I could feel heat rising to my cheeks.

"-and that's how you bowl. Make sure you don't let go of the ball too early in the air or else it will just bounce and most likely not make it to the bowling pins. Did you get everything?"

That knocked me right out of my daze. "Uh... Yeah... I think so..."

"Alright let's bowl. To make things interesting, winner gets to ask loser any question they want. And loser must answer truthfully. Deal?"

"You've got yourself a deal Lerman. Come on let's bowl! You're so going to lose."

He laughed and said, "We'll see about that."

Right before the last round ended, we counted up the points.

"Well Clearwater I guess this means we're tied so far and this round ends it. I wish you luck."

"You're wishing me luck? I think you're the one who needs it Lerman. You're going down." I tried to do my best intimidating look, but I think Logan found it amusing because he just smirked then laughed. Damn cheeky fella.

By the end of the round I quickly grabbed the paper and started to count up the points. And the winner was... Me! I won!

"I win! I win! I win!" I squealed and cheered with happiness.

"What?! Let me see that."

He counted up the points again, and, much to his dismay, found out that he had indeed lost.

He puffed, "Beginners luck."

I just laughed and said, "Whatever you say Lerman, but to keep things fair I'll let you ask me a question as well."

"But that wasn't part of the deal."

"I know, but then I'll feel guilty if you don't get to ask me anything."

"Alright. Shoot then."

I thought for a while, and finally got a good question.

"Why did you continue talking to me? I mean like at the mall. When you bumped into me you just continued talking to me. Not like most people who would have just apologized and continued walking."

"Oh so now I bumped into you? I thought we decided that it was both of our faults?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Whatever Logan, just answer the question."

"Fine. Well I was going to continue walking, but when I got a good look at you, something felt different. A good different. I knew you wouldn't be like all those fakers who pretend to like me and be my friend just for fame. I saw in your beautiful blue-green eyes that you had different intentions. I saw that you actually wanted to get to know me as a person."

"Wow Logan. I'm honestly... That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me."

"Well you better start getting used to compliments from me because I meant everything I just said."

Instead of responding I just blushed and looked into his beautiful eyes. This time they had a sparkle in them. As though he was going to enjoy asking me my question. Oh dear Zeus it better not be anything embarrassing.

"My turn then. Would you mind if I kiss you?"

I just shook my head, and the next thing I know I saw him leaning down to kiss me. When his lips met mine, they felt gentle and warm. It was a short kiss, but I enjoyed it. It wasn't until later when I got home did I realize that I felt wrong. But why should I? I mean Harry and I weren't dating, and even if we were we haven't spoken to each other for 2 years. So it shouldn't matter.

After that, he walked me home.  We were hand in hand and we kept swinging our connected hands. We walked back in a comfortable silence when we turned onto my street, Logan abruptly stopped and turned me around. He still kept my hand in his.

He stared at me intently, then asked, "Ariel, will you be my girlfriend? I know we just met yesterday, but everything feels so right with you."

I decided to tease him, so I put a thinking face on as though I was in deep thought. "No."

His face fell and saw him frown slightly.

"I'm just kidding Logan. Of course I'll be your girlfriend. You're sweet and nice. Not to mention a gentleman. I would love to be yours."

He kissed me one more time, however this time it was a bit more passionately. When we reached my porch, he turned me around once again.

"Goodnight girlfriend."

"Goodnight boyfriend. Tonight was quite fun. Thank you for everything."

"Of course. Anything for my babe."

He gave me one last quick peck and motioned for me to open the door. I did open it, and I saw my parents were sitting in the family room.

"Good evening Logan. I trust my princess wasn't too much trouble now." Dad and his teasing tone. I'm just glad no embarrassing stories were told tonight.

"Of course not Mr. Clearwater. She was a pleasure to be around. Just making sure she made it inside safely."

Mum nodded in approval of his actions. He turned and bid me goodnight again, but this time he hugged me. He bid my parents farewell as well and exited and went into his car. He waved to me one last time and he drove off. When I closed the front door, I saw my parents were still in the family room and staring at me. I knew they were waiting for me to say something. So I told them. I told them everything. Well maybe not everything. I might have left out minor details like the kisses and him having his arms around me while teaching me to bowl, but you know nothing too major. I told them that Logan was my boyfriend.

"So I trust you guys had a nice outing?" asked Mum.

"We actually did Mum. Much different this time."

"We're glad to hear that darling. Now go on upstairs and go to bed. You must be tired." Dad said with concern.

"Alrighty. Night Mum! Night Dad! Love you both."

I heard them respond and went upstairs. As soon as I was in bed I got a text message. I opened it and read:

"Goodnight babe! Sweet dreams. ;) I'll talk to you tomorrow. Xx"

Logan. I can get used to goodnight texts and good morning texts.

End of Flashback

I fell asleep right after reminiscing my date.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~2 Months Later~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ariel's POV:

Today is the first day of school for my senior year. Today marks that in 8 months I graduate. Today marks that Cher left to the X Factor 2 months ago. Today marks yet another day away from my best friend, and the first day of solitude at school.

I miss Cher to be honest. I never thought I'd miss her this much. Some people will find that someone missing someone else this much is either sweet or creepy. I for one find it sweet. She's my best friend, partner in crime, my Brat, my sister, my only true friend. During these past 2 months I've fallen into a depression. Why? Well 2 weeks after Cher left, Logan left to Germany to film his movie The Three Musketeers. (A/N: this is true. That's why the second Percy movie is barely going to be released. Some events will be altered in order to fit plot time.) Which means I've been utterly alone. I have no one to talk to, and I have decided to lock myself in my room and refusing to leave it unless I'm writing a song, which has been an occasionally thing since then, or I'm going down to eat something. My depression right now has been so bad that 3 weeks ago I actually started doing something I never thought I would've. I started cutting. Now with more of a reason I wear my rock style bracelets and rock style gloves. You can say I became more of a hardcore rock dresser.

I was quite happy when Logan was here. He kept me distracted from everything, and ever since he left I've noticed that I have a huge empty feeling inside. Everyone I love is so far away.

Cher kept her promise. At least for the first week. She called me various times, texted me all day, and at night she would Skype me. The next week these connections became less frequent until they stopped all together. I heard on the news that Cher was actually getting along with everyone, and rumor has it that she's been getting along with everyone in One Direction, including Harry. You heard correct. Harry, along with 4 other boys were placed together to be a boy band. I heard that everyone was given a week off right after boot camp and Harry took all 4 boys to his house so they could get long.

Flashback

One Direction is made up of Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, and Zayn Malik. That week when Harry brought the boys to Cheshire I only saw glimpses of them. I remember every day of that week I actually got dressed in my usual high black waisted shorts or my black leather skirts and cute lace or sheer shirts. Why? I hoped Brat would pop in on me and visit me, however she never came all week. From what I heard Brat stayed back at London because she wanted to remain "drama free" and felt like she could finally relax now that the boys would be here.

One day of the week when I was wearing black high waisted shorts, a white lace tank top with a white camisole underneath, and my favorite pair of white converse, I went sat on my usual spot on the roof. I had Star with me, but not my songbook. Today I just wanted to practice on my vocals. I sang three songs. They were Who Knew by P!nk, When You're Gone by Avril Lavigne, and When It All Falls Apart by The Veronicas. (A/N: listen to these songs! They are some of my favorites by them! :D) I didn't notice that outside in Harry's front yard Niall, Liam, Louis, and Zayn were sitting waiting for Harry. When I was done singing I heard clapping and that immediately made me jump. That's when I noticed the four boys just staring at me with wide eyes and clapping. Since I didn't know what to say, I just gave them a smile as though saying thank you, and I quickly went back inside. I went straight to my bedroom, but before I could do anything besides place Star on her stand, I heard the doorbell ring. I inwardly groaned and went to go answer it. When I passed the mirror downstairs before going outside I noticed tears streaked my face. This was nothing new anymore, but nonetheless I whipped them clean and answered the door. I saw that Niall was the one that rang the doorbell.

Before I could say anything, Niall said, "Hi there my names Niall. Me and the lads heard your singing and we just wanted to compliment you on it."

"Really? 4 extremely talented boys are complimenting my singing, ok something has to be up. Did Harry tell you to come tell me that?" I was growing paranoid by the second. No one besides Cher and my teachers have complimented me on my singing so this set me on the edge.

"Wait Harry knows you? But answering your question, no. We were actually just waiting for Harry outside because he was going to give us a tour of Cheshire since we leave in 3 days."

"Long story short, Harry knew me. I'm sure he doesn't anymore and I'd be grateful if you don't mention me to him. But thanks for the compliment. Tell Liam, Zayn, and Louis I said thanks as well. Before you ask, yes I know you guys. But seriously thanks for the compliment. It made my day." I ended with a forced smile. As I turned around getting ready to say goodbye and close the door, Niall pulled me back.

"Look I know it's none of my business and you most likely won't tell me, but whoever caused those tears," he gestured at them, "are not worth your time. I just want you to know that if you ever need someone to talk to there's always me." He hands me his number in a folded up paper.

I didn't know what to say, so I just hugged him. He hugged me back and we waved bye. Before I closed the door I could have sworn I heard Harry say from outside, "Ok lads let's go."

End of Flashback

I never did text Niall. Why? Well I feared that he too would eventually leave me. You see these past 2 months I distanced myself from everyone. I left everyone before they could leave me. The only person that I haven't left is Logan. But believe me I've tried. Whenever I try, I somehow find myself still talking to him as though nothing is wrong. Those minutes I spend talking to him over the phone help me forget my worries. I forget about everyone and everything.

Last week when I was talking to him, he asked me if anything was wrong, I hesitated. I didn't know whether to tell him the truth or not. He told me not to lie because he would know. So I told him the truth. I told him how I feel lonely and how I was in depression. I didn't tell him that I had started cutting. I kept that to myself. No one needed to know that. Ever. From the moment I said that, he has been keeping even more contact with me. Calling me just to make me smile. Sending goofy text messages and pictures to make me laugh and just being himself. I love him for that. Even though he's busy he still manages to keep in touch with his girlfriend so she won't get even more depressed. He's the best boyfriend I've had. The paparazzi has got pictures of him being on his phone constantly, and they are all wondering who it can be. The only thing he's told them that it's his girlfriend. Since then they have been on a frenzy trying to figure out who's the secret girlfriend.

Today wasn't any different from the past week. Logan sent me a text this morning and it read:

"Good morning beautiful! Xx hope u hav a wonderful 1st day of school and remember to stay happy. Love u! Xx"

After responding to the text message, I got up and started getting ready for school. I straightened my hair and put my usual waterproof makeup with an addition to waterproof liquid eyeliner on my top eye lid. I made sure my bracelets covered up my scars. I slipped on my school uniform and my black combat boots. I will never understand why the school insists on the girls to wear skirts all year long. Don't they understand that it's freezing during the winter?! In less than 20 minutes I was ready. I skipped my breakfast and instead had a glass of orange juice. I hardly ate now, but I made sure to at least have dinner. I grabbed my school bag and made sure I had my song book in it. I also took Star with me. Right before I went out the door, I snapped a picture of myself from head to toe, and sent it to Logan.

"So wat u think? [picture attached]

I didn't wait for a response. I grabbed my car keys and locked the door. I went straight for my brand new red metallic beetle and put all my stuff in the back. I jumped inside the car, and heated it up. My car was a gift from my parents from my Sweet 16. I learned how to drive this summer and got my driver’s license. Once my car was ready, I started my 20 minute ride to school. I turned on the radio and heard the latest gossip.

"So Saturday night was interesting. The X Factor decided to interview all of its contestants before next week's first show. When Harry Styles's interview came on, the only person he greeted was his mum before his interview ended. I guess he forgot about the girl he said he was trying to get back. The same thing goes for Cher Lloyd. Usually she talked a lot about her best friend to the other contestants, but since 2 weeks ago, she hasn't mentioned her. Has she forgotten her? Who knows? Well this is it for news. Here's the next song," announced the person on the radio.

During his words I felt as though my heart broke even more. Cher doesn't remember me anymore.