We Are Not Soldiers (Rogers/Stark x reader): Civil War Reference

Start from the beginning

"Where can I take you, Miss?"

You jumped as FRIDAY's voice boomed thru the lift. You didn't realize that you had been standing there so long, not moving towards your destination. "Um, sorry, FRIDAY. I'm going to see Tony."

"Mr. Stark is in the gym."

At this time of night it could only mean that he was upset. If he couldn't sleep, he worked in the lab. If he was anxious, he worked on his suits. If he was angry, he beat the hell out of the bag. A small smile dared to cross your face as you recognized that Steve did the exact same.

As the doors opened you could see Tony thru the darkened gym windows. He wasn't working out; he was talking to someone that you couldn't see, standing behind one of the pillars. His hands were animated and his eyes wide as he spoke, clearly invested in whatever he was saying. You could feel his anxiety rising as you moved closer, but you could also feel...wait, was it...Steve.

Running now, you burst thru the doors as Steve's fist connected with Tony's face, knocking him across the room. Tony stood and rubbed his jaw, determined to retaliate. He raised his arm, ready for his suit to connect. Steve bolted forward, grabbing his arm and twisting it behind his back. Tony thrust his head backwards, snapping into Steve's face, the surprise forcing him to release his grip.

Tony backed away, but Steve was determined to get the upper hand. He wiped a small drop of blood from his nose and looked at Tony; the amount of rage he was feeling barraged your mind, and you gasped at the assault. You jumped between the two, grabbing Tony's arm as you tried to reach for your husband. You felt Tony calm immediately to your powers, but Steve saw what you were trying to do.

"No, (Y/N), don't touch me."

"Steve, you know I don't need to touch you to do this."

"Do you know what he said, (Y/N)? Do you want to know what your darling brother said just now?" He was moving closer, but you extended a hand in an attempt to keep the space between the two men.

"No, Steve, and I don't want to. I want you to calm down and walk away."

"This isn't that simple!" He was again moving closer, and you pushed back on Tony slightly to take a step away. You knew he would never hurt you, he would never consider laying a hand on you, but there were no guarantees on that with Tony. Tony was strong, but without his suit he could only hold the Captain at bay for so long.

"Rogers, you will stand down!" Rhodey's voice echoed thru the room, but the snap as he armed his gun was resounding. His arrival startled Steve, whose attention was momentarily turned towards the door.

You seized the moment and lunged forward, grabbing his arm. You didn't care anymore that he didn't want you to interfere. You didn't care that this would only make things worse between you. The situation needed to stop before someone did something that they would regret. As Steve's posture relaxed, you turned to Rhodey and gestured for him to leave.

"(Y/N), you sure?"

"Yeah, I've got this. Go."

Steve's breathing finally began to slow; his expression softened as he looked at you, his eyes becoming sadder the longer he held your gaze. After a few minutes, you finally felt able to release your grip on him.

"He said that people like us need to be controlled."

~~~

"Steve, I think you should give my brother and I a minute alone."

Thankfully still under your power to stay calm, he nodded silently and moved towards the door. Pausing before exiting he turned back to you; his mouth opened as if to say something, but closed again without a sound as he turned and walked away.