Chapter 20

It felt like time was standing still with Adam just staring at me like he wasn't sure if I said those words. After a while it became too hard to look at him--now seeing Dalton in all of his features. Why hadn't I noticed it before? The dark hair. The shape of his eyes. Even the way he frowns gives me flashbacks of each time I was on the receiving end of Dalton's fury.

Bothering me the most about this discovery is the fact that Dalton and Roger used to be partners. Did that make them good friends? He has an obvious friendship with Adam so why wouldn't he with his father? Did he have something to do with Dalton coming to us in the first place?

Bile rises into the back of my throat leaving a disgusting taste on my tongue. My relationship--or any chance of one with Roger will be ruined if that turns out to be the case. Frantic and more confused than ever my head is filling with all kinds of theories and questions that are doing me more bad than good.

"It was you?" That tiny question broke the layer of silence that was threatening to be the death of my sanity. The confusion that was in his eyes converted to sadness. All I could do was nod, somewhat afraid of what he'll say or how he'll react. I don't even know why I suddenly care what Adam thinks. It could be the fact that we connected in that small amount of time or that for the first time since Dave, I feel like I might actually have a friend.

The hands that were cupping my cheeks dropped to his sides as he began shaking his head. "I don't understand. If it was you, then why? Why did you leave him? How could you leave him? Mates are supposed to last a lifetime."

And there was that word again along with everything else he said.

"Mate...no falling out of love...completed bond after intercourse..."

We'd done that. He forced sex on me many times so did that means I was bonded to him? Trying to swallow past the lump in my throat was even harder to do with tears beginning to brim my lower lashes.

"It was nothing like you said Adam. That love you talked about, the tone you used when you talked about this forever love is not what he showed me! It was all pain--punches, slaps, and violent rape. Why did I leave him? Because my life depended on it! I close my eyes sometimes and I still see my mother's wide open and staring at nothing." I paused looking down at my feet feeling my lip tremble, "I fell over her as I was trying to get away from him and it was foolish of me but when I noticed her laying there--her vacant eyes--I crawled over and touched her cheek. She was cold. Her warm naturally flushed cheeks were cold. I ran and by the grace of God he hasn't found me. Don't tell him where I am Adam! I'm begging you...please don't."

I pulled away from him not waiting for a response, fully intending to pack a few of the things in my apartment and catch a bus to I don't know where. It sucks that I'll have to leave my Dad when we just found each other but I can't stay here knowing that Dalton would be near.

Adam's quick reflexes kept me from getting too far away from him. With speed I didn't know that he or anyone for that matter could possess he had me back in front of him with his hands firmly on my shoulders. I could tell by the look in his eyes that there was so much he wanted to say but there was a battle formulating the words to express those things. He looked me over with deeply saddened eyes before he let me go and walked away.

I became oblivious to the cold wind blowing through my hair and penetrating the thick material of my coat as I watched him walk away. It was only then that I questioned if I'd told him too much and wondered if maybe I had lost out on a friend.

Once Adam was out of view I began my slow journey back to place taking the long way to allow me time to think about where I could go and how I'll get by when I reach this unknown destination. The only job I've ever had involved me getting naked for soggy crumpled up dollar bills and I honestly don't want to go back to anything like that but it's fast money.