Chapter 19

Moving through the busy city streets with my scarf blowing furiously in the wind I couldn't seem to get my mind off the latest dream. It felt so much like a memory yet not. While some of the things in it seemed very familiar to me like the house, the view of the land, and of course Nicolas, those events didn't register as if I had actually experienced them. The major part of it that's bugging me is the feelings toward Nico. Nicolas.

My heart and my mind are both on the same page on this and I strongly believe that it's the same person. After thinking about what Roger said to me about how and why the council is made, I figured it could be completely possible for it to be the same person but the question still remains, why? I don't know why but everything was telling me that Roger knew that answer.

With that idea in mind I called him and asked to meet as soon as possible, dressed, and headed out with a strange feeling sitting in the pit of my stomach like I was being watched. It only seemed to let up when I entered the small cafe' on the corner of Rose and 37th. The smell of fresh coffee and pastries was overwhelming, very reminiscent of the way my house used to smell around Christmas. I can still see my mother in the kitchen with her sleeves rolled up, humming Jingle Bells while kneading sweet dough for homemade donuts.

The thought of her makes me smile and makes me want to cry at the same time. If she were alive I know I could go to her about these weird dreams and actually get advice about them. Not just about that but Nicolas too. I've only met this man once yet I feel this weird attachment to him--this yearning to be near him like I need him. Just being in the same room with him filled a void I didn't know I had. The way he looked at me and the way he gently laid his lips on each of my fingers made my heart do things I've never felt before.

As soon as I took a seat at the table by the window the bell on the door chimed alerting everyone of another's presence. I looked up expecting it to be my Dad only to be met by the familiar face of his partner.

"Hey!" He grinned walking toward my table with his hands shoved deep into the pockets of his jeans. "Something came up last minute and Roger couldn't make it so he asked me to come keep you company."

"Oh, ok." I smiled as best I could feeling a little disappointed. There is still so much he and I have yet to cover and I planned to also use this meeting for that. My feelings must have shown through my expression because the bright smile that was previously curving his lips fell into a weak smile and he didn't bother sitting. "I'm sorry," I shook my head smiling as best I could, "have a seat?" I gestured to the chair directly across from me hoping it lightened the mood a little.

The smile he had when he first entered returned as he pulled his hands free scanning the little shop with an approving glare. I hadn't exactly looked at Adam enough to notice just how attractive he is since my mind was too focused on someone else but now I can see him perfectly. Blue-gray eyes are offset by his short dark brown hair that's messy but styled at the same time. A light covering of stubble around his mouth lures your eyes to his full bottom lip that gives you the impression that his kisses are nothing short of mind blowing. As he removed his jacket I saw straight through the fitted white long-john shirt he's wearing. It did very little to hide the abs just below the shirt and even less to keep my eyes from rolling over them.

When I looked back up at his face I realized I had been caught screwing him with my eyes and had to bit my lip to keep from laughing my embarrassment. He smiled tossing his jacket onto the back of his seat as he sat down.

"I'd ask you if you like what you see but I think we both know the answer to that." He grinned teasingly to which I rolled my eyes.

"Figures you'd be arrogant. All the attractive ones always are."