Something Worth Saving (Pietro Maximoff x reader)

Start from the beginning

~~~

It was fulfilling to see Pietro doing so well after months of recovery. He was full of life and full of energy; he was running again, moving faster than your eyes could see. He had finally regained his vibrancy.

"(Y/N), I think I'm ready to return to the team."

"Good...that's wonderful, Piet." You really were happy for him, but deep down you had held onto the hope that he would stay. "When would you like to go? I can take you there."

He moved towards you, taking both of your hands in his. "I want you to come with me. I want you to meet the team and become one of us." When you pulled your hands from his and began to back away, he followed. "(Y/N), your power is incredible, like nothing I have ever seen. Look at what you have done!" He held his arms in the air, spinning in front of you, "I am alive because of you!"

"I don't know. I haven't told anyone about what I can do. I'm afraid of what could happen, or what they could make me do." You shook your head and looked at your feet as they nervously tapped the floor. "There's more that you don't know, Pietro."

His eyes were full of curiosity now, eager to hear what you had to say. "Okay, tell me. I can take it."

"I'll show you." You quickly moved around your apartment, turning off lights and closing windows, locking the door in preparation. "Where is the tower located?"

"N-New York." His words stuttered with the nervousness building inside of him, not knowing what you were about to do. "What are you going to do, (Y/N)?"

You took both of his hands and looked him in the eye, "This."

In mere seconds you were standing on the busy sidewalk in front of the Avengers tower. He jumped back from you, panting and looking around in amazement. "Holy...oh my...(Y/N), that's incredible! Do you have any idea...wow." He rushed up to you and took your arm, "We have to show them!" He began to pull you inside, but you planted your feet firmly and held your stance.

"Wait, Piet, wait! I don't know." You took a deep breath, looking to him to be honest with you. "Tell me, these people are good, yes? I saw what happened in Sokovia, it was their fault. But if you tell me that I can trust them, then I will."

Pietro approached you slowly, wrapping his arms around you and pulling you into a firm hug. "I trust them, (Y/N). My sister is with them, and she does too. Please. Please come with me."

You gave him a tight squeeze before letting him go, looking up at the massive tower in front of you. You had never seen a building of its size, and it was daunting. "Okay, let's see if I'm afraid of heights then, shall we?"

~~~

Wanda was in the conference room, reviewing the next mission with the team when it happened. She bolted up from her chair, the sudden movement tipping it backwards. Her expression couldn't be described, and her breathing quickened; she could feel her heart pounding in her chest. Without any words or warning, she ran from the room and to the entrance of the tower.

"What the hell was that?" Tony said as the rest of the team stood and joined him to follow her. "Man, she really is weird." Only seconds later they heard a scream from the lobby and ran faster to the source.

Clint was the first to arrive, and what he saw drained the color from him; he was seeing a ghost. "Holy shit." He moved slowly and cautiously towards you and Pietro, looking from him to you. "I don't get it. How are you here?"

Wanda was clinging to her brother, tears streaming down her face. "It doesn't matter how. I can't believe you are here." She pulled back after several minutes, having paid no attention to you next to them. "I'm sorry," she said as she wiped her tears away, trying to catch her breath. She then reached her hand out to you, "I'm Wanda."

"I'm (Y/N), and don't worry. I expected this." The rest of the team was staring at you, waiting for any explanation as to what they were seeing.

"She saved me," Pietro began, "and I would like you to consider her for the team. Her powers are remarkable, as you can see." He reached down to take your hand, looking at you with reassurance. "And she is my friend. I would like very much if she could stay."

Bruce stepped out from the group, looking at you with concern and inquisitiveness, "What exactly can you do? I mean...I can see you have regenerative powers, obviously, but what else do we need to know?"

"Well, first, if I'm going to stay, I'll need to get a few of my things from home." You released Pietro's hand and disappeared. Moments later you reappeared holding a suitcase of your belongings.

The group stared at you, their mouths agape and unmoving. You heard a small chuckle from Pietro. "Show off," he whispered.

"So, which way to my room, then?"

Tony, still stunned and without words, pointed slowly towards the elevator. You couldn't tell if he was impressed or scared. Either way, you found yourself amused by their reaction.

"Yes, I do believe that I will like it here."