Chapter 50 - First Breath

After what seemed like hours, I saw light. Hastening my speed, I  maneuvered closer and was soon met with the refreshing light of the  moon. Looking at my surroundings, I noticed we were now entrapped in a  forested area, uncertain of where we were. Turning, the group was... Dr.  Beltran?

"Dr. Beltran?" I called. He turned, and immediately became pale at the sight of me.

"Alastair," he said in shock, "you're here." He was fidgeting and forcing a cheap smile.

Something was wrong.

"Is something wrong?" I inquired, furrowing my eyebrows. "Well, besides the obvious?"

He  inhaled, and diverted his gaze elsewhere. I became sick to my stomach. I  looked at the people around me, who were also avoiding my sight.  Something was definitely wrong.

"What happened? What's going on?"

"Now's not the time to tell you, Al," Esmae murmured. I abruptly turned to her.

"What  do you mean? If all of you know, shouldn't I?" I inquired, frustration  and anger evident in my tone. "If all of you know, you might as well  tell me!"

"Al, you don't want to know."

"Yes, I do."

"You're not going to like it."

"I don't give a damn," I hissed. "God dammit, tell me already!"

"Are you sure?" Dr. Beltran interrupted. I turned to the man, my nose crinkled and eyebrows furrowed.

"Yes, I am," I replied boldly. Behind me, I heard Luckas crawl out of the tunnel.

"What's  going on?" he asked, brushing dirt off his clothes. Noticing the man,  he seemed to be "in the know", and became mortified. The can in his hand  fell to the ground, yet his gaze didn't leave the man before him.

Looking  at the two of us, Dr. Beltran couldn't contain himself, and broke into  tears. Ugly sobs were heard, and covering his face with the palm of his  hand, he whispered muffled words. However, though he had muffled his  voice, his words were as clear as day.

The sick feeling in my  stomach grew, and I fell to my knees, beating my fists on the depriving  earth. Tears streamed down my face, staining my cheeks. I screamed in  disconsolation, repeating those two damned words he said.

"Katherine's dead."