Chapter 16 - The Flightless Oriole

"Al, you're back!" Phillip shouted, his boisterous voice resounding in the room while he energetically waved from his seat. I paced towards him, hands in my pockets. When I was close to him, I stopped in my place, staring down at him as he patted the spot next to him.

"You were gone for a really long time."

"I was only gone for fifteen minutes," I uttered back, ready to settle down. However, before I could, a figure came into my line of view and I halted. Drill Sergeant Smith was coming.

"Adair."

"Yes, sir," I responded, saluting to the man. He's not going to kill me, right?

"Glad you're back," he greeted, ignoring my tardiness, much to my relief. "How is Miss Adair?"

"I don't know when or if she'll be coming back, sir," I answered. "Hopefully, she does, sir."

"I hope she does," he agreed, "she has only an hour and a half to finish."

"You're still going to force her to do it, sir?" Phillip asked in disbelief.

"Only a fifth of what I'm forcing the rest of you to do," he retorted defensively, rolling his eyes, "it's reasonable."

"If she can move," I muttered under my breath. Based on her behavior, she was on the verge of breaking–that's just from looking at appearance and tone.

"What was that?" he inquired, causing me to almost jump.

"Nothing, sir-"

"Esmae!" Phillip blurted. I turned my head to see her standing in the doorway, arms hanging sluggishly by her side. She was calm –too calm. Her body was no longer trembling, and her eyes weren't close to being deemed blood-shot. I glanced at her hands. They were still shaking. Well, I have to admit; she knows how to hide her feelings.

"Are you okay?" He questioned, instinctively going over to her. He grasped her palms tightly, immediately taking note of her obvious nervousness. "Your hands..."

"I'm fine, Phil," she responded with a slight smile. "Can you let me go? Please?"

"Oh," he said, letting go of her hands, "okay."

"Adair, you're back," Smith stated as he stood before the girl. "are you ready?"

"Yes, sir," she responded in a dignitary tone, saluting, "I'm ready."

"Good, soldier," he replied in apparent glee, "now, you only have to go through the course ten times and you'll be free from cleaning duty."

"What-"

"Go! You don't have time to waste!" he belted, pointing at the structure.

"A-Alright," she stammered, deliberately walking casually towards the entrance. She took two deep breaths, and said some inaudible words to herself. Then, after a few words of assumed encouragement, she joined the remaining members on the course.

What came next was unexpected. Despite her palms being sweaty and slippery, she managed to maneuver through with unbelievable expertise and speed. Though she had started late and had low moral, the amount of progress she was making was overwhelmingly significant. All the areas I had trouble in, she was succeeding: the rock climbing, tire swings, swinging levers. She was soaring with ease, and made the course appear ridiculously easy as she flew through round after round. It didn't take much time before others acknowledged her skill, commenting on her unexpected talent.

"She's fast!" someone exclaimed as she blew past.

"She's amazing!" another commented.

"Go, Esmae," Phillip cheered, "keep it up!"