Chapter 31 - Results

"What?"

"My dad's General Kingsworth," he repeated continuing to stare at me, expecting something to occur.

"And what of it?" I questioned, furrowing my eyebrows. "What's your point?"

"You don't care?"

"Your dad doesn't define who you are, Phillip," I commented, "I could care less if your dad was someone of greatest importance or least importance. As long as you retain your individuality, I'm fine with whatever or whomever your dad is... as long as he isn't a renowned mobster or serial killer."

He bit his lip, preventing himself from saying what he meant to say. Continuing to chew his lower lip, he lowered his head and stuffed his hands in his pockets—it was evident that no words would change his mind. Not a single word came out the teen's mouth—he was thinking. Hard.

Eventually, he made up his mind, deciding to finally speak. "Everyone says that," he muttered, eyes looking at me through his dark bangs. "Yet no matter what they claim, they leave me. How can I be sure that you're not giving me a bullshit response?"

"I'm telling the truth," I assured, "I wouldn't leave you."

"Not even for my dad? Everyone wants to be with my dad—not me."

"Has that ever happened?"

"I don't have proof...but I can affirm it."

"Are you sure it's not because you changed?"

"I changed?" he asked, looking at me agape. Mentally, I slapped the boy. Surely, he honest-to-God has noticed... right?

"You haven't noticed?" I inquired, looking at the boy with eyes full of unamusement. "Most don't want to be around vengeful individuals. Your attitude is likely the reason for your constant isolation—not your dad."

"My attitude?" he questioned, staring at the palms of his hand. He lifted his head, finally looking me in the eye. "I've been like this since I was little."

"Well, you're not as little now—it might be a good idea to have a change of heart. People change, Phillip—I'm sure you of all people know that," I stated. "Their opinions can change drastically after five years. Five years ago, some people might feel inferior once they learned who your dad is. Now, likely not as much. If you keep living with your past fears, they will constantly crop up. Since you never learned to deal with them, they will prove to be your shortcoming. Due to it being an irrational fear, you should learn how to conquer it. That is, unless you're a masochistic bastard who enjoys living in fear and pain. I, on the other hand, prefer love and fear."

He didn't say a word in response. Glancing at the boy, his facial expression perplexed me. His eyes drooping and tears forming in his tender eyes, it appeared my words hurt him. I parted my lips to form an apology. However, before I could deliver it, he latched onto me, and I discovered the truth. He was being apologetic. So apologetic, that it pained him inside. He was begging me to forgive him for the little wrong he had done because now, he finally understood. He finally understood, and wished forgiveness—hell, he was begging for forgiveness according to the tight grip he had on my shirt. I gave into his warm embrace—it wasn't as if I've never been irrational.

"It's okay," I murmured into his ear, "I'm not going to leave."

"Promise?"

"I promise—I'll never leave you."

Sniffling, he got off of me, revealing the solemn expression on his face. Wiping away his tears, he smiled at me. "Thank you, Al. I needed that," he said in appreciation. Suddenly, his face altered, reverting back to normal. "Oh, yeah—did you want to see your ranking?"