Chapter 7

Present day

Hanna comforted me for a while before she left my house. I was glad that she was there. The last thing I wanted was to be alone. I continued to cry for a little longer and then I slapped myself back into reality.

"Spencer Hastings! You are engaged!" I scolded myself. I tried my best to stop crying and went to my bedroom.

I needed to focus on the now.

Wren answered the phone after two rings. "Hey Beautiful." I smiled at how that sounded with his accent. See, this is good. I'm going to marry someone who makes me smile when I hear his voice. Not someone who makes me cringe when I hear his name.

"Hey, Wren." I said while chuckling.

"You know I love you, but I'm really busy so what's up?" He hadn't known that Toby was back. Now was not the time to drop a bomb like that. I'll tell him in person.

"oh nothing, honestly I just wanted to talk. So if it's a bad time..."

"oh, no no. It's never a bad time for you." There was a few moments of awkward silence. "Spencer?"

"Toby's back." I blurted out within a half a second.

"What? When? Spencer what's going on." He said firmly.

"nothing, I just thought you should know. I don't know why he's back."

"I have a pretty good guess." He mumbled. I sighed.

"I highly doubt that. Emily is the only one that had talked to him and she said he said nothing about me."

"somehow that doesn't make me feel better."

I smiled because it felt good knowing that he cared. "I love you."

He happily sighed "I love you, too"

Toby's POV

I didn't like being here. In fact I hate it. Jenna and I were so dysfunctional I swear there's a sitcom in there somewhere. The only reason I came here is because my dad made me. Toby you should go visit your sister. Toby she's family.  Those words made me cringe. Family. If only they knew...

I had been here a mere half an hour and this was by far one of the most banal and boring conversations I've ever had. There was enough awkward silence to please a crowd.

"I think I just saw Spencer's car drive by."

It finally happened. I was waiting for someone to say her name. Most people avoided it for my "well-being." I should've known Jenna would be the one not to care.

Wait, did she just say her car drove by???

I quickly turned my head. "She's long gone now, although, funny thing, her car stopped in front of the house and then sped off a few seconds later. Weird."

God I hated her. I looked up at her with pure hatred in my eyes.

It's been almost two years and she still decides to mess with my head. I should've known she was messing with me. I should know better anyway. It's not like she would ever do that anyway.

she laughed. "I'm telling the truth, Toby. I can tell you don't think I am."

I scoffed. "I think I have a right to doubt you sometimes." She frowned. I smirked.

"So why did you come back?" She said now angrily.

"I already told you, I just have to figure out some things."

"yeah, and I already said I don't believe you."

"Fine Jenna you caught me. I'm actually here because my evil twin made a bunch of clones and now I'm here to take over the town." I had so much sarcasm in my voice I almost laughed. I gave her a look and said "I'm clearly not telling you so please leave me alone"

She rolled her eyes. "Fine Toby. Don't tell anyone. Shut everyone out. But I doubt you'll get Spencer back doing that." She gave an evil grin.

"That's not why I'm here!"

"Who are you trying to convince here Toby: me or you."

I wanted to get the last word but I didn't know how to respond to that. I just slowly got my things and left.  I drove to my hotel and thought about what she said the whole time. "I'm not in town for her." I said out loud.  But there is truth to it...somewhat. There was a carpenter job in Rosewood available and I might have done everything possible to get the job, but it paid well, and that's the ONLY reason. Damn. Who was I trying to convince? I let out a huge sigh. The truth had to come out at somepoint.

"I am here for one reason. And that reason is Spencer Hastings."