Chapter 4

I left Emily's apartment filled with anger. I really didn't know where I was going. All I knew was I needed to know. I had to know why he was back, why he failed to give a legitimate reason, and why he didn't ask about something, or should I say someone, so important.

It all just didn't make any sense. But believe that I was about to find out.

But I still didn't know where the hell I was going!! By this time I was furious. I think I had a right to be. I tried to think of a place he could be. Would he go back to the loft of the Brew? He had lived there for a while until...

I decided to check anyway. I made my way back to the Brew. I stomped up the metal stairs so loud that I'm sure people had been staring. But I didn't care. I only had one thing on my mind.

For the purposes of "letting go" I no longer had my key to the loft. But I did have a bobby pin. I could pick locks so easily nowadays I hardly ever worried about taking my keys with me half the time. I bent down and focused on the lock. After fiddling for a while, I heard a click. I smiled.

"I'm in."

But then I started to get anxious. I mean, what if he was inside? What if he was just sitting there on the couch. What would his reaction be? Would he be surprised? Happy? ...would he even care at all?

All my anxiety quickly faded away when I saw the bone-dry, bare apartment. There was nothing left.

"Safe to say he moved on, too" I muttered to myself, looking helpless and sorrowful. I snapped out of it and nonchalantly walked out the loft. I headed downstairs hoping to still see Aria there. I hadn't had the opportunity to look on the way in.

I was disappointed to see she had left, but I got over it quickly.

I decided I had done enough searching. For now at least. There's no way I'd give up that easy. I got in my Toyota and started to head home.  I had been listening to music and slowly started to get back into a better mood. But as usual, reality had to jinx it for me.

As I drove down the street, I saw a car; the car. The beat up pick-up truck I had bought for him so long ago. I was in utter shock before I realized where the car was located. It was parked in front of the one house that I thought I'd never lay eyes on again.

 It was her  house.

It took me at least 10 seconds to realize what I had just seen before my reaction kicked in.

"No, no it can't be. NO this isn't happening!" I started to cry. "no no no! this isn't real!" I was sobbing now. I hit the gas and speeded off. I swerved into my driveway and ran inside. I had failed to notice Hanna's car parked outside.

I started to make my way upstairs when she stopped me. "Spencer? Spencer! What's wrong?" she chased me upstairs. "Spence talk to me come on."

I stopped and turned around.

"I assume you know who's back in town."

"...yeah. I do. I haven't talked to him though. Only Emily has, and it wasn't for long."

I was still bawling. "I-I saw his truck." I tried to speak through the sobs, "h-he was parked outsi-" I continued to cry. I couldn't say it out loud. Hanna seemed to grasp what I was trying to say.

"oh my god Spence no. I'm so sorry." I didn't respond. "you know what? I'm going over there. Show him he can't do that. He is not allowed to do that!"

"no no please don't Hanna that will only make EVERYTHING worse. Please."

"Fine. But I'm not letting this go. He'll pay for this someday."

I started to calm down. "I sure hope so."

two years ago, when it  happened

Toby and I had been fighting for a while. Like a really long time. I didn't even know if I could say we were together anymore. All we do is bicker. Long distance is harder than it seems. I ran into him in the lobby of my hotel that I was staying in.

I pretended like I didn't see him.

"Spencer, stop."

I froze and slowly turned around. "Hey, Toby" I said slowly.

"We've been fighting for so long and I don't want to do this anymore." I frowned. "You can't deny what we have is magnetic. All we do is fight, but somehow fate keeps making us bump into each other."

"this is where I live Toby, I don't think you came here for the spa"

"Look, you either want to be with me, or you don't" I started to say something but he interrupted me. "Meet me at our spot at 7 tonight. I'll be waiting. But at 7:02 I'm closing my heart to you forever."

He turned around and left before I could say anything else.

~~

I drove home, telling myself not to go. I couldn't. I wanted to be done. It just wasn't right anymore. But for know I needed to focus on other things. Like how I haven't seen my family since I left for college and I'm about to go see them. I need to have that be my focus right now.  I got home to my parents house. I walked in and everyone greeted me happily. Melissa was 9 months pregnant and about to explode. She got married to her roommate in London. "Hey Spence! I thought Toby was coming over." Everyone knew that we weren't really working right now, but they all decided to pretend like it was all ok.

"um...no. He's not." The room instantly got very sad. Wow way to be a damper, Spence.

I looked up at the clock. 5:45. Stop it, Spencer. You're not going. 

Melissa gave me a smile. "well. That's ok. We can have just as much f-OH MY GOD!"

"what Melissa what's wrong??" But then I realized

She was going into labor.