28: Tears of Dawn

Rika's POV

I opened my eyes to white ceilings and white walls, and a sterile smell in the air, a hospital. 

Every single inch of my body felt reluctant to move, and I just lay there, staring up at the ceiling and trying to recall what exactly had happened. I was still in my grey tank top and shorts, which meant I didn't need an operation of sorts. 

I was drugged, beaten up, cut...then a boy...Mark, cut his own arm...there was blood, I was dragged into a closet...and there was a lot of pain. From there on everything was blurry, but someone had saved me. Someone had taken me out of that dreadful place, carried me away, whispered reassurances by my ear. 

The details started flowing back to me in disjointed pieces as I lay there unmoving for about ten minutes or so. 

I slowly twisted my head to look out the window by my side, and noticed the sky was dark, but it was slowly lighting up. Dawn, my favourite time of the day. Reaching over painfully, I felt a streak of pain shoot up my side and my arm, and I hiss. Still, I reach over and pull the window open, letting the cool fresh air flow over me. Closing my eyes, I faced the outside air and took a few deep breaths of the air. Who had helped me? 

.

.

.

"Rika" a husky voice mumbled from next to me, and I turned my head in shock only to find a head of soft brown hair lying by the side of my hospital bed, a soft cheek squashed gently on the white bedsheets and eyes closed with sleep, his long lashes fluttering as he stirs slightly. Only then do I noticed that my other hand is interlaced with his, and it is warm— so warm. 

He was asleep.

I found myself unconsciously stroking his soft brown hair with my other hand, the strands slipping through my fingers, and a smile creeping to my face. 

He must be so exhausted. 

I really owe him, and whoever else was by me last night, so much.

It hurts so much, but I'm alive, and waking up to see him by my side was just so...

I could be asking myself why he is here by my side, or why he bothered to save me at all, or why he should care about someone like me, but...All I can think now is that he's here. 

He's here. 

I smiled again, an unfamiliar flutter in my stomach.

Suddenly, my stomach growled in hunger, and my hand flew to it, trying to block the loud noise it was making.

"Rika?" the same, boyish voice says this time, as he stirs awake, then immediately jolts up wide awake.

"Rika, you're awake! Are you feeling alright? Does it still hurt anywhere? Are you hungry?" he asks, concern filled in his beautiful eyes. 

I stared at him blankly for a moment.

"Yes, yes, and yes," I found myself giggling softly, and only then does he notice his own hand interlaced with mine. He stares at it wide-eyed, then his cheeks tinge pink and he quickly unloosens it.

"You're hands were freezing and I- uhm- it was really cold last night and-"

"You...stayed here the whole night?" I asked quietly, although I should've known seeing him so exhausted, sleeping by my bedside.