Thorin ~ Moon 4

Zearah paced nervously through the halls of Erebor, her body tense and fingers constantly cracking by her side. She was deep in thought, her expression agitated and angry, and she knew she should calm down, hence why she was on her own, but it was only making it worse.

Footsteps approached and she stopped, her head snapping up.

Dwalin stood there, looking just as agitated and angry.

"What is going on?" He growled.

Zearah takes in a deep breath. "The gold sickness and werewolf are reacting. If he does not get over this...then there is a good chance he could give into the curse." She says it quietly, not wanting to even hear the words herself.

"Can't you do anything?" He asks desperately, his hands shaking by his side.

Zearah shakes her head sadly. "I gave Thorin all the knowledge I had on what would happen, the rest is up to him."

Dwalin takes in several breathes, his hands resting behind his head. "Are you sure there is-"

"Dwalin, if I could, I would." She says, her voice breaking before she clears her throat. "If I could've foreseen this, then I would never have allowed Thorin to come here, I would never have allowed any of this to happen."

His gaze softens and he sighs. "I'm sorry Zearah, I just thought-"

"It's okay," She rubs her eyes. "Thorin has three days to overcome this or I feel...I feel it won't end well."

There is a moment of silence and they don't look at each other, understanding the seriousness of the situation.

He clears his throat. "Well, we'll just have to keep trying."

Zearah nods, wrapping her arms around herself.

Dwalin goes to walk away, but hesitates. "Zearah...if...if Thorin doesn't snap out of this and it goes wrong...will-"

"Yes." She says, her eyes meeting his. "We will have no choice, otherwise...he will just keep going."

Dwalin nods in understanding and moves off, leaving Zearah by herself again.

She hadn't expected it to go like this, hadn't expected Thorin to be taken by the gold sickness. She'd felt it as they took on Smaug, felt the heaviness in the air, but never thought it would come out like this.

Now they were on the brink of war, and Thorin was on the brink of losing everything.

Zearah sinks against a wall. She blamed herself for all of this, and nothing could be said that would convince her otherwise.

Placing her head in her hands, she almost willed the tears to come, but they wouldn't and it was frustrating that she knew she had to be strong.

The ache in her hands added another reminder.

Sighing, she stands to go and find Thorin.

An argument broke out between the two of them, Thorin yelling and Zearah yelling back. It had the other dwarves watching nervously. They weren't sure what had started it, but Zearah quickly finished it.

"If you don't snap out of this you are going to die!"

A tense silence follows Zearah's words, Thorin glaring at her.

"I mean it Thorin," she snaps. "I can't imagine what you going through, but if you...if you allow it consume you then the beast will as well."

"I've already told you that I will not give into that beast." He growls.