Eomer ~ Stay

This is based on an imagine found here:  http://imaginexhobbit.tumblr.com/post/124792028364/imagine-being-part-of-the-fellowship-and-eomer

Helms deep had certainly been one of the toughest fights I'd ever been in. That's after years of fighting alongside my brother, Boromir, sharing delegation of a captains work against our fathers wishes.

I'd joined him on the quest after we were both sent to Rivendell, and then I stayed with him to patch his wounds after the battle along the river. He was lucky to be alive.

Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli had gone straight after the hobbits at my insistence, and we caught up as they were leaving Rohan. Boromir was still in a lot of pain, but he hid it well.

Once Aragorn had rejoined us in Helms Deep and warned us of the approaching orcs, we knew that this was a battle we may not survive.

The night had been long and the battle hard. Boromir had been left with the women and children, in case they needed to flee, and we almost had too.

But Gandalf turned up with the Rohirrim at the right moment, and led a gallant charge against the orcs.

And now, peace was settling again, the wounded and dead being gathered, and I finally took a moment to sit and calm myself.

I could feel someone watching me.

Looking up, it took a moment to work out who it was. Then I spotted him. The Rohirrim soldier who had led them and rode by Gandalf's side.

He was staring at me.

I raised my hand in greeting, and he returns it with a nod, but his eyes were still locked on me. I could feel my cheeks starting to burn. I must have looked a mess from the battle, my body covered in dirt and blood, my hair still damp from the storm, but his gaze did not waver.

A hand on my shoulder made me jump as Boromir joins me.

"Are you alright Sarena?" He asks softly, joining me.

I give a small laugh. "Of course you oaf, I can handle myself."

He smiles. "Aragorn tells me you fought well out there."

"We all did." I turned back to the soldier, but he was gone. "It was a battle well fought."

"Well, hopefully the next one I will be alright to join you. I can't say I enjoyed being a sitting duck in those caves." He was pouting and I hit his arm playfully.

"You oaf, you know you were too wounded to fight. At least to the strength we needed you to be at anyway."

He laughs and then grabs me, tucking my head under his arm and ruffling my hair, something that had stuck around since childhood, and I scrambled away with a laugh.

We stayed behind to aid in the return to Rohan while the others went to see about Saruman, and we had most moving by the time they returned. Boromir and I overjoyed to see Merry and Pippin return.

It was a quiet journey, and while Aragorn and I were talking, I felt eyes watching me again. I glanced back from my horse to see it was the same soldier from before.

"Aragorn," I said quietly, causing Aragorn to raise an eyebrow. "Who is that soldier that rode in with Gandalf?" All this time and I'd still failed to catch mention of his name.

Aragorn glances back, the soldier quickly breaking his gaze. A smirk tugs at his lips. "That would be Eomer, and if I'm not mistaken, he is quite enamoured with you."

I give Aragorn a disbelieving look. "Don't be daft."

"Why else would he keep staring?" Aragorn winks and I blush furiously as he laughs.