The Egg 2

The egg hatched at Beorn's.

Somehow, in the time that we had to escape stone giants, get captured by goblins, run for our lives, crash halfway down a mountain, run for our lives again, try to roast some wargs and Azog the Defiler, get rescued by eagles and then run for our lives again, it had managed to collect enough heat to hatch.

We were sitting at Beorn's table when I heard the crack, and it took us all a moment to work out what had happened.

I rushed to my pack, where the egg was safely nestled inside, and pulled it out. A large crack having formed on top.

"It's hatching." I breathed.

Gandalf made them clear the table and then made a make shift nest on top, where I gently nestled the egg as it began to move a bit more.

There was silence as we all sat and watched it, not quite able to believe this was happening.

Soon, an odd chirping could be heard.

The crack got larger and then a small piece broke away, a small, golden nose poking out.

We all watching in amazement as the little dragon freed itself from the egg, lying sprawled out of the table, breathing heavily from it's effort.

Finally, it pushed itself up on it's legs and looked straight at me. With a slight lollop in its step, it crawled over, and as I hadn't moved, slowly climbed up me, burying underneath my hair and wrapping its warm little body around my neck, where it cooed happily, its head resting on my shoulder.

I looked at Gandalf, stunned.

He was grinning. "It appears you have a new friend."

"I almost didn't expect it to hatch." I said quietly and glanced at the tiny dragon. Slowly and I reached up, wanting to touch it, I was hesitant, even though it was wrapped around my neck, but when it nuzzled up into my hand, I grinned, gently rubbing it's head.

This seemed to ease the others a bit, but it was clear they were still cautious.

"He will grow fast," Gandalf warned, coming over, the dragon too, letting him scratch his head. "To survive in the wild, they have to. I would not be surprised if he wasn't almost fully grown by the time you reach Erebor."

"But...that is not very long at all." I said, a little surprised.

"I know, assuming all goes well." Gandalf looked at the others. "And I trust everyone will help care for him?" He gives a very pointed look at Thorin, who was looking less than agreeable. "He will need plenty of food over the coming weeks, although for now, small insects should suffice."

But the little dragon didn't currently look hungry, in fact, it was happily settling on my neck and closing its eyes.

Life became more interesting with the little dragon around, we quickly learnt the first night that the little fellow had a slight glow to him, shining beneath my hair, which became very useful later in Mirkwood, as it meant the dwarves couldn't lose me.

Luckily he was still small enough when we were captured by the elves to hide beneath my hair, even though I had to tell him to be quiet.

It was difficult as he was learning to talk.

There was a terrifying moment when I thought one of the elven guards had seen, but she turned away, although with a rather curious glance.

Bow, as I'd affectionately named him (he reminded me off one as he curled into my hair) did not get along with Thorin, and it was unfortunate that he just happened to get thrown in the same cell as me.