Chapter Two

Chapter Two Train Dodge Dig It

Chris and I knew of each other but nothing about the other. I guess that was clear when he thought I was Gordie's girlfriend. "I guess it must suck to be related to Gordie, huh?" That was the first sentence he said to me. "Being twins does help. And we are more like close friends." "I guess being friends would help." "Yea mom says when we were younger Gordie was really protective." "Ha, how?" "Well, he always held my hand and telling other guys 'dis is my 'ister you boys stay way!' So she was worried he would be worse when I was older. But he surprisingly is more casual. Like I can point out guys and Gordie tells me his honest opinion." "Oh so do you have any other siblings other than Gordie?" "Mmm-hum two younger sisters." "Yikes. That's better than older brothers."

He got quiet after he mentioned his brothers. I figured he didn't want to talk about it. But after ten minutes of pure silence I asked him, "why'd ya kill Ace?" "You know about that?" "Gordie told me. And you didn't answer my question." "To be honest I had enough of his shit. He goes around pickin on kids for no reason. Like he thinks he is better than everyone in this town because he's a bad guy. Ace treated people like dirt I didn't like that." "So you killed him because he was mean?" "No. He wasn't just mean he was an ass. Then one day he insulted my father and how my mother 'probably killed herself to get away from that pig.'" "Well I personally think Ace should've seen that coming." "But I killed him. I killed someone." "True but Ace was one of those guys..." "You mean trailer trash?" "No! I mean he talked before he thought." "But did he deserve to die?" "Probably not. But if everyone knew how he was around town they would understand." "I don't know about that." "Then that's your problem." "What is " "You need hope."

Gordie and Vern stopped and we caught up. A train was coming so Chris, Vern, and I moved to the side of the tracks. But not Gordie, he wanted to dodge it.

"Get the hell off the tracks Gordie!" I screamed. "Train dodge, dig it." "Gordie no! This is stupid!" "Yeah Gordie. Com'on and get over here." Chris was on my side. The train was about fifteen feet away. Vern didn't have an input he just looked at Chris and I then Gordie. "You tryin to get yourself killed?!" Chris said. I looked over at Chris with watered eyes. That's when Chris ran onto the tracks, grabbed Gordie, and dropped him on the side of the tracks.

"I could've dodged that!" Gordie yelled into my face. Chris yanked the back if Gordie's shirt. He did that to take the blame. "Son of a bitch! Why'd ya do that Christopher?" "Did ya think I wanted to see my best friend killed in font of my eyes?! Did you think Emily wanted to see her brother killed in front of her eyes?!" I like how he was standing up through my point of view. "But if I dodged it I wouldn't be dead!" "How the hell would we know if you were gonna jump?" "I don't need you lookin after me." Gordie turned to me. "You either." "Come on guys we don't need a fight already." Vern said.

Gordie stomped off. When he saw no one was following he said, "you comin?" Vern went running to catch up. Chris looked over at me and nodded his head in the direction Gordie was walking. We both continued our journey. "This is all my fault. I shoulda just let him dodge." Chris spoke up. "No, oh no. This isn't your fault. If its anyone's it's my dads. Gordie get his short temper from him. " "I'm sorry. I just did what I always do in that happens." "Huh?" I turned to him. I probably looked like a wreck. My glasses had some water stains on them from the tears. "I dream about him running in front of a train. The worst part is Gordie convinces me he can do it. So I let him but the last second before the train could touch him, I grab him. Then it goes black and I hear Gordie fighting me. And that's when I wake up."

I didn't know how to carry on that subject so I stayed quiet.