Terrible Things (Steve Rogers x reader)

Start from the beginning

~~~

I said, "Girl, can I tell you a wonderful thing?

I made you a present with paper and string.

Open with care now, I'm asking you, please.

You know that I love you, will you marry me?"

"What am I gonna do with you, Rogers? We've gone over this how many times now?"

"Buck, just tie it."

Bucky chuckled as he finished the knot of Steve's tie, shaking his head that he still had to do this. "You know, of all days to not know how to do this, your wedding day is probably the worst of them all. Which, by the way," he paused, looking at his work and nodding his approval, "you have yet to thank me for. This whole day wouldn't have happened without me."

"Ha!" Steve scoffed, "this whole day is happening because we snuck out of that movie! You're a terrible matchmaker!"

"Whatever, punk. I let you tag along and you stole my date."

Steve's eyes softened and his expression turned introspective as he looked at himself in the long mirror. This view was different than the day you met; he was a skinny version of the self that he saw now, an unimpressive version that you somehow saw beyond. Thanks to a doctor who took a chance, and your determination to not let him fly that plane alone, both you and Steve were still here, so many years later, finally getting this day.

"She stole me, Buck."

~~~

She said, "Boy can I tell you a terrible thing?

It seems that I'm sick and I've only got weeks.

Please, don't be sad now, I really believe,

You were the greatest thing that ever happened to me."

Tony's hand was on Steve's shoulder as they sat outside of your room, looking through the window as you tried to recover, the doctor wearing a long and fatigued expression. Nat was lying on a couch in the nearby waiting room, keeping a watchful eye on your thirteen-year-old son as he slept with his head on her lap. She took her role as godmother very seriously, but she was terrified that the role was about to become more than just in title only.

"She's gonna be okay, Cap. You two are indestructible, remember?" Tony heard a quiet sniffle come from Steve; he looked over to see Steve wipe his eyes and nod in agreement, averting his eyes to look at the floor. "Steve, you okay?"

"No," he sighed, "but I have to be, don't I? I have a son, I have a team to lead, and I'm Captain fucking America." He stood and walked from the window, pacing behind Tony and wringing his hands together. "When do I get to break, Stark? When do I get to say that it's just too much?"

Tony opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted when the doctor approached, opening the door to let Steve in after hours of waiting. His face was grim and Tony recoiled knowing what was about to be said; he excused himself to sit by Nat, waiting to be needed, hoping he would even know what to do, knowing that things would never be the same.

"Come here, love," you whispered with a raspy voice and barely enough breath in your chest to make it heard. "Sit by me, please."

Steve took a long and deliberate breath, steeling himself for a conversation that terrified him and shook his soul. "I can't do this," he shuddered, his breath becoming ragged and fast, tears ready to spill at any moment. He knelt at the side of your bed and took your hand, pressing his lips firmly against it.

"You have to, baby. You have to do this for him," you said with a cough, your chest beginning to burn and tighten. "You promised me that you would." You pulled your hand away and put it to his chin, turning him so that he would finally look at you. "And you're always honest, remember?"

The dam finally broke and his sobs began to shake his body as the realization of what was happening finally struck him. The reality of the moment stripped away Captain America and left Steve Rogers, a broken man who was losing the love of his life before his eyes.

Tony grabbed Nat's hand when a constant and flat monitor alarm came from your room and the doctors and nurses ran in; his other hand covered your son's ear so that he wouldn't wake from the commotion.

"Let him have good dreams while he still can," he whispered.

~~~

So don't fall in love, there's just too much to lose

If you're given the choice, then I beg you to choose

To walk away, walk away, don't let her get you.

I can't bear to see the same happen to you.

Tony threw the set of keys to Steve, who was leaning into the car window to give one final word of advice to his boy. He didn't want to bring him down, he wanted him to have a good night and enjoy the company he was keeping. But Steve had become jaded towards love, and felt the need to protect his only child.

"Don't fall in love."

"What?" the boy asked, "did you really just say that, dad?"

Steve rubbed his hand on his cheek, clearly frustrated with himself and his own behavior. "Yeah, I did. I'm sorry, but I used to be just like you, thinking that if I found love then it would all be okay and that I would live a better life. It's a fallacy. It's too painful once it's gone, and I just want to spare you this."

"Dad," he began, "would you be the man you are today, the man you are without the pain and anger, if it weren't for mom? Would you prefer to not have all those memories? Would it be better to not have me?"

"Of course not, it's just that-"

"Then just be thankful, remember that I love you, and then trust me."

Steve smiled and finally allowed a small laugh to escape his throat, "when did you get so smart, huh?" He reached in and handed off the keys, watching as the car started with a roar and doing his best to keep his nerves under control. "Alright, no speeding. Obey the rules of the road. No phone!"

"Okay, okay, dad I promise." A hand waved out the window as he pulled away, slowing just a bit when he passed Tony. Steve's mischievousness was clear in his son as he looked at Stark, leaning out the window with a wide grin and a laugh.

"Hey, I'm always honest, right?"