Terrible Things (Steve Rogers x reader)

Start from the beginning

~~~

She said, "Boy can I tell you a wonderful thing?

I can't help but notice, you're staring at me.

I know I shouldn't say this, but I really believe,

I can tell by your eyes that you're in love with me."

"So Buck, which one is mine?" Steve whispered as you and your friend approached them, clearing his throat and straightening his tie for the millionth time. "I mean...not mine, just... you know what I mean."

Bucky laughed and took a few steps towards you, holding out his arm so that you could link yours through it. "Steve, this is my date, (Y/N). And this..." he turned to hold his hand towards your friend, "this is Anna, your date."

"Ma'am." Steve held out his arm for her, but his eyes kept moving to you. Each time you tried to catch him at it, he looked away just in time. His cheeks were flushed and he looked uncomfortable, but there was something about him that drew your eyes to him as well.

Once the date had officially begun, it was hard to watch the movie as a foursome. Bucky was so nice, and so courteous that you felt bad that your mind was on Steve and how much you would rather be talking to him. Your friend certainly didn't seem interested and it actually made you mad that she couldn't see what you were; she didn't realize her luck at being his date.

You looked to your left and saw Bucky engrossed in the picture before him; you looked to your right and saw Steve watching you. That was all you needed. You nodded slightly to direct him to the door, and turned to excuse yourself for a moment, glancing back to see him a few steps behind. When you reached the door you grabbed his hand and pulled him out of view.

"I think our matchmaker got this wrong," you whispered, trying to keep from being seen.

"Yes, ma'am, I do think you're right." Steve had never felt particularly forward towards a lady and never made a move without explicit permission, but in the moment he couldn't help but be closer to you. He pushed you back against the wall for a kiss, surprising even himself with his behavior. After a moment he stepped back, panting and his eyes wide, unsure of the reaction he would get from you.

"Oh," you said breathlessly, "I can tell you're gonna be trouble."

~~~

Now, son, I'm only telling you this

Because life can do terrible things

You'll learn, one day, I'll hope and I'll pray,

That God shows you differently.

Steve was still sitting on the stairs when his son approached, but he wasn't immediately aware. It took a hand on his shoulder and a firm shake to pull him from his memories of you, reluctant to rejoin the real world.

"Dad. You're freaking me out."

"I'm sorry," he sighed, "I'm really sorry. I guess sometimes my mind just takes over." He stood and pulled the young man into a tight embrace that was readily accepted for a change. Having a father known for bravery and stoicism made for uncomfortable hugs growing up, so this was foreign territory. "Forgive me?"

"Of course, dad. It was my fault, I brought her up."

"No. This wasn't your fault. It's on me, alright?" Steve pushed him back just slightly, turning him to admire his appearance. "You clean up good, kid. You get that from me, if I do say so myself. She won't be able to keep her eyes...off of you." He cleared his throat and straightened his stance, looking down onto your son. "Just be careful, okay? Be young. Slow down and enjoy being young. You only get these years once, so don't hurry to grow up."