Age Ain't Nothing But a Number (Steve Rogers x reader)

Start from the beginning

You knew that would be his answer, but it still stung. "Yeah, I know. You're right. Of course you're right." You gave him a faint smile and leaned in for a hug. He readily obliged, pulling you in close and holding you for several minutes. You swore that you felt him breathing in the scent of your hair, but in your current frame of mind, who knew if you were imagining it or not. "Steve, this won't change us, will it? I don't want to lose you over this."

He pulled back and held you at arm's length, pointedly looking in your eyes and holding his gaze. "Honey, believe me. You will never lose me over anything." Steve leaned forward for a soft kiss on your forehead and another long hug. "Never."

~~~

You had done a pretty decent job at avoiding Steve for the past week; not purposefully per se, but you weren't seeking him out for any reason. Tonight was your big 20th birthday party at the tower so there was no way for the avoidance dance to continue.

You were just about to run out the door when Steve stopped you, jogging up behind and grabbing your hand. "Hey, where have you been? I feel like we haven't talked in forever."

"I've been busy. Training with Bruce, getting ready for tonight, stuff like that." You pulled your hand away so you could pretend to look for something in your bag to avoid any suspicion or hurt feelings. "I'm just on the way to grab my dress for the party. Did you need anything while I'm out?"

He did look a little hurt after all, but he seemed to accept your explanation. "No. Uh, no, I'm good." He slowly backed away, waving his hand slightly and quickly thrusting it into his pocket, "I'll see you later then."

"Yeah, later," you whispered as he walked away.

When you returned several hours later, you were running late and running to your room to get ready. After the fastest shower of your life, you called Natasha for help with your hair and makeup, barely completing the task before it was time to go. "Do I look okay?"

"He has to notice you. You're beautiful, (Y/N)."

"Wait, what do you mean? Who has to notice me?"

"Steve. Who else would I mean?"

"Oh no, Nat," you laughed, "that's never gonna happen. He shot that down fast. Besides, I have a date."

You walked into the party with Nat but let her go once you spied your date, hanging out by the bar and looking desperately around the room to find you. The poor guy looked completely intimidated by the company wandering around him, and you couldn't help but feel sorry for him. His eyes lit up when he saw you approach, relieved that you were there to rescue him before any of the other Avengers tried to talk to him.

"(Y/N), damn. You look amazing."

"Thanks, Nick. You looked terrified over here."

He leaned in and put his arm around your waist, whispering in your ear, "Thor is huge. And Captain America keeps giving me the eye over there." He nodded towards Steve, but when you looked in his direction he quickly looked away.

"Come on, chicken. Let's go meet the gang." You linked your arm in his and pulled him along, sensing his reluctance. "Nick, don't worry. There's no pressure here, and if they give you a hard time, I'll protect you." You winked as you approached Tony and Clint, patting Nick on the hand. "Guys, this is Nick, my date for the evening. Nick this is-"

"Iron Man and Hawkeye," he said, excitedly reaching out to shake their hands. "Huge fan."

Great, you brought a fanboy to the ultimate fanboy party.