Not on My Watch (Steve Rogers x reader)

Start from the beginning

"Is that not the team you wanted? Is there someone in particular that you would like me to remove?" He was slowly moving towards you now, stopping just as your bodies were about to touch. His arms were still crossed as he looked down at you, his jaw tight and his face expressionless. "Is there something I should know, (Y/N)?"

"Why...why would you ask that?" You took a small step back, now fully intimidated by your husband, for the first time that you could remember. "No, Captain, this looks good. I...I don't see any problems." You turned quickly to make an exit, hoping that he wouldn't follow.

~~~

"We're approaching the drop zone, sir."

With a final check on your parachute, you stood, directing your team to prepare for the jump. "Kemp and Hiller, you go in and retrieve the weapons while Johnson and I guard the perimeter. We'll rendezvous at the drop site at 0930. That's fifteen minutes. We good?" You heard a scoff coming from the group, from the only person you expected to be insubordinate to your lead. "Something you'd like to say, Kemp?"

"No, ma'am. This is your mission, you're calling it." He lowered his head and mumbled under his breath, "again".

The jump was never something you looked forward to. You couldn't deal with him right now; you needed to gather your resolve to leap from thousands of feet in the air. Squeezing your eyes shut and holding your breath, you took the leap.

~~~

The mission had gone perfectly; in fact you had five minutes to spare. As you walked to the retrieval site, you grabbed your phone to update Steve. You didn't see Kemp standing in your path, looking ready to fight.

"You know, we're getting really tired of this special treatment you're getting from the Captain. Just because you're married to the guy, you think you're so much better, so much more deserving than us." He stepped up toe to toe with you, poking you sharply in the shoulder. "It's time for that shit to end."

Dropping back to take a defensive stance, you pulled a knife from your sleeve, ready for his attack. Your skills outmatched his easily, but your nerves were getting the best of you. If this fight happens, there was no way to keep it from Steve.

"You know, I really thought you would have learned the last time. I gave you a pretty big hit. You're either tougher than you look, or a hell of a lot dumber." The agent lunged forward, hooking his leg behind yours, attempting to knock you down.

As he lunged, you wrapped your arm around his throat, flipping him over and onto his back before he could take you off balance. Before you could secure him to the ground, he jumped up, now holding his gun at you.

"It's a shame, Captain. She fought really hard, saved us all. You would have been proud, sir." Kemp nodded his head, satisfied with his performance. "Yeah, he should believe that, don't you think, (Y/N)? A Captain's wife should go out in a blaze of glory."

Steeling yourself, you saw his finger twitch as he began to pull the trigger. Before he could discharge the weapon, Steve's shield connected and knocked him to the ground, unconscious and bleeding. Your adrenaline was surging, and you felt as if your heart would explode from your chest. You fell to your knees, your legs shaking and no longer having the strength to support you.

"Steve..." your breath was fast and panting, "Steve, why are you..."

Steve ran past you towards Kemp. You were quickly brought to attention when the Captain began punching the unconscious agent, clearly no longer in control of himself. His fists were covered in blood now, and you weren't sure whose it was. "Steve! Steve, stop!" Jumping up behind him, you grabbed his arms, attempting to pull them away. "Captain Rogers, you can't do this!"

Finally relenting, his shoulders slumped as he looked down at his hands, then at the agent. "I told you. This wasn't going to happen again."

~~~

Entering the conference room, you paused at the door as the team turned to look at you. Steve had filled them in on the situation with Kemp, despite the fact that you asked him not to. Your first instinct was to turn and leave, but that wouldn't make it go away, it would only delay the inevitable conversation.

"Hey, everyone." Taking your seat next to Steve, you folded your hands in your lap and lowered your head. You were prepared to answer their questions, to just get it done once and for all.

Bruce was the first to speak, clearing his throat as he leaned forward to rest his elbows on the table. He slowly removed his glasses and looked at you. "(Y/N), we're very sorry that you had to go thru this. We recruited Kemp, so we take full responsibility for this. We should have caught this in his mental health and personality screening. We just need to know if you're okay." He paused, putting his glasses back on, "Are you okay?"

Your mouth was agape, not believing what you were hearing. You were certain that they would find you unable to lead missions, incapable of controlling your team, unable to stand up for yourself. This wasn't what you were expecting, and tears threatened to spill from your eyes as you met Steve's gaze.

Tony stood and moved to stand behind you. "Hey, now. There are no tears allowed during official business." He slapped a hand on your shoulder. "Not on my watch. Ain't that right, Barton?"

Clint threw his hands in the air, shaking his head in embarrassment. "Seriously, Stark? That was one time!"