"Oops," Louis said in disinterest. "How does she cope with him?"

"Stop it, I'm serious Louis. He has done nothing wrong, so please just treat him nicely? He died too, you know?"

"Oh, trust me, I know," Louis laughed sarcastically. "I remember the dismal time very clearly. Thank Hell you were there."

"Aw, Louis, you softie," she said, laughing at him.

The pair of them bickered as they neared the park, the circle of trees surrounding the playground coming up first. Melanie stepped over pine cones and rocks while Louis silently walked beside her. She looked over at him curiously and caught a glimpse of .... something on his face. He looked almost forlorn.

"Satan?" she said, slowing her walking. "You alright?"

"Yes," he told her, looking up at the sky briefly. "Just wondering what's all going on back in The Beyond. There will no doubt be a good few people up there waiting for my help."

"If you wish to leave..." Melanie started, looking at her hands as she spoke. "I mean, if your job is needing done right this instant, then you can go. I mean, we have lots of other times for you to visit me."

"Mel, I'm not going anywhere. You amuse me too much," Louis said, grinning. "Those people up there can wait. Time works differently up there so it will be as if I were gone only for a moment."

"I feel like I should write a book about a girl who died and met The Devil in this strange world between life and death. I mean, I have all of my sources and life experiences."

Louis chucked. "And death experiences."

She slapped his arm gently and leaned on the tree beside her, pressing a hand to her chest carefully. From time to time, the pain would resurface out of nowhere for a brief moment. Almost like a stitch after a run - it was there for a moment and then gone.

"You OK?" Louis asked, taking a step towards her. She nodded and turned her back to the tree so she could face him properly. A glimpse of concern was plastered on his face and Melanie just gave him a reassuring smile.

"I'm good," she told him. "Just a little irritation is all. I'll be completely healed by the the time you come to see me next time, you watch."

"Oh, I know you will be. You strong little thing."

Melanie just smiled again and closed her eyes momentarily. It was nice to just take a moment to realise she had an everlasting friend in Louis. Even in death, she had the opportunity to be with him if she so wished. It almost seemed too surreal to even be considered truth. Why would Louis even ask someone like her to be his companion in Hell? Surely there were other girls - maybe boys - that tickled his fancy, that were more attractive and funnier than her.

"Melanie?" Louis asked, snapping her out of her day dream. She shook her head and looked up, shocked to see Louis standing in front of her now, his arms on either side of her frame, flat against the tree behind her.