Chapter Eighteen

At half past nine, all of us were waiting at the bottom of the stairs for Jack to arrive with his car. It was dark and quiet. Copeland was still sleeping in Vic's arms. We heard the unmistakable sound of a car engine in the distance. The sound swelled until we saw the car pull up with Jack behind the wheel and Alex riding shotgun.

Jack popped the boot and went to open it. Alex got out of the car and shook my hand. I introduced Vic, Copeland and Cinnamon to Jack and Alex and once the niceties were over, Vic gave Cinnamon a goodbye hug and let himself be ushered into the back seat by Alex while I put our suitcase into the boot. I kept my backpack with me because it had all the cash and important documents I stashed at home. I handed the unit keys to Cinnamon to hand back to the landlord.

In less than five minutes, we were ready to go. Leaning out of the window slightly, Vic promised to see Cinnamon again soon.

"Maybe I'll come find you some day," Cinnamon smiled warmly."Don't let me catch your asses back in this part of town ever again, you hear me?" She said in a stern voice that didn't match her expression.

Vic nodded obediently and we were off. The ride out was quiet and full of tension as Jack drove us out of the neighbourhood. There was nobody around to stop us but we kept our eyes peeled. It wasn't until the last houses faded away into the darkness behind us that we all breathed a sigh of relief.

Jack was the first to speak up. "That was some dodgy place you live in, Kellin. It gives me the creeps," he said with a shudder.

"Yeah," I agreed. "But we're not living there any more. And we're never going back," I added, looking at Vic. He met my gaze and gave me a small smile.

"Good," Jack said. "Copeland's got so big, wow!" He exclaimed, changing the subject. "Do you think she'll remember me?"

"I don't know," I replied. "We'll find out when she wakes up.If she wakes up, that is." And we all laughed.

Alex turned around in his seat to look at us. "You guys are the cutest family I've ever seen," he commented smilingly. "I'd be happy to have a family half as cute," he added.

I saw Jack roll his eyes through the rear view mirror. He was still smiling as he said, "Maybe one day, Alex. But first, college."

Alex shook his head. "I can't wait till after college," he whined playfully. "I want it now." He leaned over and gave Jack a kiss on the cheek.

Jack made a noise of protest and blushed in the orange glow of the street lights. "I'm driving, don't distract me," he then said in a small voice.

We arrived at the rendezvous point just in time. Rian was already waiting for us at the guardhouse. He raised his eyebrows when he saw Jack and Alex but greeted them with a hug and a pat on the back all the same.

Rian handed me the keys. "I can't stay long. You know your way up,"he said. "Enjoy your new home."

"Thanks," I said.

"I'll come by with the paperwork soon, and we'll work out the details then," he said.

"Thank you so much. I didn't mean to bother you," I said apologetically.

Rian just waved it off. "It's totally fine," he insisted."Cassadee's about to come home, I just want to get there before she does and give her a surprise." He turned to Jack and Alex, and added, "I'll see you guys around. Bye."

"Bye, Rian," Jack called as Rian walked off.

"Don't forget to use a condom!" Alex yelled.

"Shut up!" Came Rian's distant voice.

Just then, Copeland stirred in Vic's arms. She looked around and blinked in wonder and confusion. Her eyes fell on Jack and she broke out in happy giggles.

"Aww, she does remember you," I told Jack, who was more than ecstatic at that fact.

Vic gave Copeland to Jack to carry and the sparkle in his eye was undeniable. I looked at Alex, who was staring at Jack. I saw the look in his eye. I knew what he was feeling. It was the exact same feeling I had when I first came home to Vic and Copeland playing happily together. It was that feeling that made me realise that I was sure Vic was the right one.

I stood beside Alex as Vic and Jack were preoccupied with Copeland."It's an amazing feeling, isn't it?" I said.

"Yeah," Alex agreed. "Jack's gonna be a great dad some day."

"I'm sure he will," I said. "And you will too."

 "Thanks."

===== 

Like and comment if you liked it and I'll see you soon.