Chapter Ten

Okay, first off I am so sorry for this long, long wait. I've been very busy and also very sick these late couple of weeks. A lot of things are happening at the moment and I didn't have the energy to write anything. 

I hope you didn't mind, I promise I'll try to write more frequently. Enjoy the chapter.

=====

Back at home, life was good and we were happy but I noticed Vic's olive skin had faded at least two tones lighter and the signs of sunlight deficiency were clear on his face. Copeland shared his hermit like lifestyle but she was faring better because of the nutrients in her milk. He needed to go outside. He hasn't seen the sun for months now and I had no idea how he'd put up with these four walls for so long.

It was a sunny Saturday afternoon and I said to him, "Maybe we should go out for a walk today."

He stared at me with wide eyes. "I can't go outside, what if my dad's cronies see me?"

"I haven't seen anybody hanging around for weeks," I told him. "You need sunlight, Vic. You haven't seen the open skies since you came."

"I'm not a plant, Kellin," he deadpanned.

I shuffled closer to him and pleaded, "Please? It'll be fun. We won't go far, just to the playground. It'll be good for Copeland too. We'll only hang around for half an hour."

He looked at me and I gave my best puppy dog look. It took him three seconds before he sighed and said, "Fine. But only half an hour and no more."

I grinned and pecked his cheek. "Yay, let me just grab the keys."

The door squeaked ever so slightly as I pushed it open. I had a very excited Copeland in my free hand and she was wriggling around, trying to take in the sights of the dusty corridor. Vic took a tentative step out the door, his long hair covering most of his face. I shot him an encouraging smile and locked the door. Then I turned to him and grabbed his hand. It was slightly clammy but I didn't mind.

"Let's go," I said and I took us out of the dark and dusty corridor and into the bright, warm sunshine.

Copeland was happy to see the outside world again but Vic took a bit of coaxing and encouraging. I didn't let go of his hand and he kept close by my side. He had his shoulders hunched and his hair concealing his face. His eyes darted all around, studying the deserted land ahead of us.

The playground was right behind the apartment building. It wasn't the best maintained place in the world but two of the four swings still worked and the slide has yet to be a hazard. The see saw has been reduced to nothing more than a plank on springs but it was still good to sit on. All around us was dirt and dust. There wasn't even a tree in sight in this barren wasteland.

The desolate state of the playground didn't stop us. I set Copeland down one of the remaining swings. It was the type meant for babies and resembled an oversized plastic pair of underwear. She bounced up and down excitedly in her seat as I gently pushed the swing back and forth. She squealed with laughter when I pushed her up higher.

Vic sat down on the other swing and started moving. He matched our pace, going back and forth with us. Copeland was delighted to see him join us. She watched him with shining eyes the same colour as the sky above our heads. He pushed himself slightly higher and Copeland reached her arms out to try and touch him. So I pushed her a little more, much to her excitement. Vic saw this and kicked harder, propelling himself further into the sky. He met my gaze with a playful glint in his eyes.

"We're gonna go higher than you," I challenged.

"Oh yeah? Try me," he shot back, swinging higher than ever.

Our little competition went on. Vic won in the end only because I didn't feel safe pushing Copeland too far. Smug and triumphant, he hopped off the swing before it came to a stop. Landing firmly on the ground, he turned and walked over to me and said, "I win."

"I didn't want Copeland to go too high," I justified.

He grinned, "I still win. Do I get a prize?"

I rolled my eyes. I gave him a quick peck on the lips. "There's your prize," I told him and he laughed. "And the runner up gets a prize too, for effort," I added, plucking Copeland from her seat and pressing a kiss on her cheek.

"She was good competition," Vic commented. "A worthy opponent."

I puffed out my chest proudly. "Of course, she has a great coach," I declared.

"The best in the world," Vic laughed.

"We make a good team don't we, Copeland?" I asked, giving her another kiss. "Come on, let's go home," I said, taking Vic's hand in mine.

When we got home, we got Copeland washed up and she fell right asleep after her exciting time out in the playground. There was nothing left for Vic and I to do so we turned on some music and laid down on bed. I turn my head to face him. He was staring up at the ceiling.

"Hey," I said to rouse him from his thoughts. When he met my gaze I asked him, "Did you have fun?"

He nodded. "It was the most fun I had in years," he smiled.

"I'm proud of you for going out today," I told him.

He shrugged, turning back to the ceiling. "You begged me to, I couldn't say no," he chuckled. "We're back in one piece, so that's good," he added.

I took his hand in mine and he looked at me again. "You're safe, Vic," I assured him. "I'm not gonna let anybody get you. I promise."

He nodded. "I guess it was kinda nice to get out after so long," he admitted with a small laugh.

I chuckled, moving to straddle him. "You're not a vampire," I said. "You need a little bit of sunshine every now and then."

"You're my little bit of sunshine," he countered, making me blush.

"You're so cute," I murmured, a smile spreading across my face. I leaned down and pressed my lips on his.

=====

Vote and comment if you liked it!