Chapter Six

It's been almost a month now since I met Vic as a dirty, hungry boy sleeping out in the streets. It's been almost a month we've been having our little arrangement. I have to admit, it was good that he came along. With him around, not only did I have a babysitter for Copeland, I also had someone to talk to and keep the sad loneliness at bay. Every night, we would chat until we were too tired to let any bad thoughts enter our heads. I told him stories of what had happened out in the world, and he would tell me about what Copeland had done at home.

We had formed a friendship under rather strange circumstances. After a month of living under the same roof, he was hardly a guest anymore and we were far from strangers. We had dropped the formalities and professional politeness. We even had his clothes kept in the empty spot where Katelynne's used to be. In the four weeks since I met Vic, he had become my closest friend.

But something has changed. It wasn't Vic, it wasn't our lifestyle, and it wasn't the weather. I couldn't quite put my finger on what was happening. It was as if the sun had come out after hiding behind clouds for a long time. Something was stirring and for once, it felt good.

The room was illuminated by the soft light of the early Saturday morning sun coming in through the window. I rolled onto my side, turning to look at Vic who was still sleeping. He looked up innocent and young in his sleep. His expression was soft and his breathing was slow. His chestnut brown hair fell in waves and curls on his pillow. His long eyelashes fluttered against his cheek as he woke up, blinking in the light.

He caught me staring and he smiled sleepily. I felt a strange feeling in my stomach and my chest. Something I thought could never feel again. Something I wanted to never feel again.

Shaking my head, I got off my bed to wake Copeland up. She was in a pleasant mood today, smiling and gurgling at me as she opened her eyes. Vic had made his way to the bathroom to freshen up while I set Copeland down on the floor, letting her explore the tiny space we called home. She was starting to crawl, scooting around an inch at a time.

The little apartment room had to be baby proofed to accommodate for her increasing curiosity. The plug points had plastic covers on them, and anything long and rope like was coiled up and tucked away out of reach. Luckily we didn't have too many things lying around so baby proofing was an easy job. But still it could be quite stressful when she decided to test her strength by toppling the kitchen stools over. This morning, she seemed quite content with playing with her raggedy teddy bear on Vic's blankets.

Leaving her to her own devices, I went to prepare her milk bottle. Before I was done, Vic had emerged from the bathroom. He grinned and sat down beside Copeland, who was too busy with her stuffed toy to acknowledge him.

"Good morning, Copeland," he cooed. "Are you playing with Teddy today?"

Copeland gurgled something I couldn't quite make out but Vic obviously could because he replied her. "Your daddy's right there, he's making your breakfast," he said. "Here he comes," he adds as I walk over to them, handing Vic the milk bottle.

"I'm in the bathroom," I told Vic. It was rather unnecessary, let's be honest. You were either in the room or in the bathroom, we had no other choice. But it was just something we all do. Behind the closed door of the bathroom, I could still hear the mostly one sided conversation between Copeland and Vic, who was trying to get the former to drink her milk.

Copeland was babbling, "Bubba. Teddy." A new word, impressive.

"Yes, Teddy," Vic encouraged. "Can we be a good little girl and drink our milk first?"

"Papa," Copeland gurgled. "Papa!"

My guts dropped to the ground. I was overreacting. She didn't know what she was saying. But it felt like a sign. A sign I didn't want to see, a sign I didn't want to accept. She's just a babbling baby. She didn't mean anything she said.