Song of Hope - Chapter 11

Start from the beginning

The house was a nice farmhouse with a wrap around porch, white siding with black shutters. On the porch was a swing hanging from the rafters, and several rocking chairs. To Sydney it looked very homey.

As Austin and Sydney exited the car, the front screen door slapped open and closed and Sydney was almost tackled at her knees, “Miz Sisnee! Miz Sisnee! You’re here! I pawaed you’d come.”

“You did!” Sydney said dropping to her knees to hug Lacey.

Lacey pulled back, but would not leave Sydney’s arms, “Yes, I tole God I miz you. And you’re ere.” Lacey threw her arms around Sydney, “I wuv you Miz Sisnee!”

Sydney smiled as she hugged the little girl, “I love you too Lacey.”

“And Daddy too? You love Daddy too?” Lacey pulled out of Sydney’s arms and reached up to take her father’s and Sydney’s hands.

Looking over at Austin, Sydney said, “Yes Lacey, I love your daddy too.”

Before this conversation could go any farther, Austin picked up his daughter and said, “Why don’t we go in so MawMaw and Poppie can meet Miss Sydney.” He reached over and took Sydney’s hand and led her up the porch steps.

Walking into the house, Sydney thought that it did not reflect that a multi-million dollar trucking company owner lived inside. Instead, it looked like a normal grandparents house with lots of pictures of Lacey, crochet blankets and toys. The house was decorated nice and nothing too far out of date, and it was very welcoming.

Austin lead Sydney into the kitchen where Tucker and Emma Sue were waiting. Knowing that someone was coming and then watching Lacey explode with excitement over seeing Sydney, they were trying to prepare themselves for this meeting. They wanted to be supportive and loving and help Austin move on, but a part of them missed Sonya and didn’t want her replaced.

Walking through the swinging door, Sydney saw Lacey’s grandma cooking, she knew where the blonde hair and blue eyes came from, Emma Sue was the epitome of a southern granny. Platinum blonde hair cut in a teased out bob hair style just barely touching her shoulders, who was at the stove cooking, baking or spoiling her grandchild.

Tucker, was a tall lean man with broad shoulders and a thin moustache with darker salt and pepper hair, that was becoming mostly salt. As they walked in, he was reaching to grab something off a plate as his wife slapped his hand away. ‘Yep, typical southern couple,’ thought Sydney with a smile on her face.

“MawMaw! Poppie! Miz Sisnee’s here! Miz Sisnee here!” Lacey said as they walked through the door to the kitchen.

Tucker and Emma Sue turned and smiled at their guest. “Sydney, we have heard so much about you, it is nice to finally put a face with the adoration of our granddaughter.” Tucker said as he walked over to shake her hand.

“Thank you Mr. Granger, I adore Lacey as well.” Sydney said with a smile.

“Call me Tucker, everyone does... well, everyone who isn’t calling me some sort of words I would not dare say in front of a pretty lady.” Tucker smiled down at her.

“Tuck, quit your flirtin’ and let the girl breathe. What would she want a crusty old man like you for anyway when she has Austin here.” Emma Sue said with a smile towards Sydney and Austin.

“Woman, I may be old, and I may be crusty. But, I am YOUR crusty old man, so watch it!” Tucker said without looking over his shoulder at his wife who was smiling at him.

Emma Sue smiled as she walked up and put her arm around her husbands waist and squeezed, “Just as long as you remember that darlin’!”

Looking over at Sydney, Emma Sue smiled, “Don’t let Tuck bother you, he is an eternal flirt, or as I like to say, his flirt is worse than his bite.”