| Chapter 20 |

Chapter 20

Avoiding somebody wasn't one of my talents.

I try so hard to avoid or ignore somebody, but in the end, I end up speaking to that someone.

Only when it comes to people avoiding me?

Yeah, let's just say that it works pretty well. I guess I could say that I had a face that could be easily ignored.

Take Christopher for example. Ever since that day in the park, he had been ignoring me.

I didn't care that much, though. Like the coward I was, I left it at that. If he wanted to ignore me, then so be it.

"I can't believe you guys don't celebrate the Fourth of July," I spoke up, propping my feet on the coffee table.

Delina threw a peanut in the air and then captured it with her mouth. "Yeah, well the world doesn't revolve around America." I simply rolled my eyes at her. Sorry for asking.

"Adam's coming over," she told me with her eyes locked on her phone.

"Hmm," I muttered absentmindedly, keeping my eyes fixated on her lamp while shovelling peanuts into my mouth.

It's probably because Delina hadn't attended school today. She was 'sick', so it's okay. "I can't feel my legs," she complained, groaning.

"How come?" I inquired.

"Because of those damn squats. I should've never done one hundred and twenty." She ended her sentence with a weary sigh, and I offered a loud laugh.

"I only did fifteen," I confessed, unabashed. "Who am I trying to impress?"

With her eyes glued to her phone, she responded with: "Chris." I kept quiet. How would she react if she knew I harbored a teeny, tiny crush on him? Noticing that I stayed silent, she looked up from her phone with narrowed eyes. "Wait...you don't like him, right?"

I stupidly opened and closed my mouth. Then, I opted to respond with a shrug. "I-I don't know. I guess." As soon as the words left my mouth, Delina rose up from her bed and started pacing around her room with her hand covering her mouth.

"I need a moment," she muttered to herself. Then, she froze in the middle of the room and spun to face me with her hand still covering her mouth. "Daniella Jane Evans has a crush on Christopher Mark Stone. Daniella Jane Evans has a crush on Christopher Mark Stone." She kept repeating the same thing over and over again, her voice going higher and higher each time, until she was practically squealing the sentence out.

I rolled my eyes at her dramatics. "It's not that big of a deal."

I bet so many girls at Christopher's school had a crush on him. The thought struck a chord of jealousy. They probably look like high fashion models, while I looked like I crawled from a cave. And to be fair, I doubt Christopher would go for a 'sixteen year old' when the girls in his school are probably eighteen or seventeen.

Well, I'm turning seventeen next week, so.

"Delina, stop," I insisted as she began squealing. "You're acting like...like a twelve year old."