| Chapter 5 |

Chapter 5

A gust of cold wind entered the house as I opened the door and slanted against the doorframe. Christopher, as usual, was sitting along the steps with a cigarette interposed between his middle finger and index. At the sound of the door faintly opening, he twisted to face me with raised eyebrows.

"Oh, great," he muttered in disdain.

Brushing off his snide comment, I ingested a few steps and sat beside him, allowing my eyes to wander around the empty street. The intoxicating scent of smoke filled my nostrils and I restrained the urge to lift my shirt and cover my nose in attempt to rid myself of the horrid smell.

"How aren't you cold?" I asked as soon as I noticed his red t-shirt.

Instead of emitting a verbal response, Christopher flung his cigarette onto the ground and scuffed it with the heel of his shoe. He constituted a move in standing up and I hurriedly reached out and grabbed him by the arm. His eyes dropped down to my restraining hand that was encircling his upper arm, and I sheepishly brought my hand back to my side before clearing my throat.

"I need some fresh air."

His eyebrows rose. "And how's that my problem?"

I shifted my weight from foot to foot. "Well," I began, rolling my tongue over my teeth and staring up at the ominous clouds gathering overhead. "I need some fresh air, and I can't just go sauntering around a neighborhood that I'm not familiar with."

It clicked faster than I imagined it would. "You want me to come with you?"

As soon as I caught the dubious look on his face, I quickly added, "It's just a ten minute walk. Come on, Christopher." Christopher blew out an annoyed sigh.

"Go grab me my jacket," he barked out.

I glowered at him. "Am I your maid or something?"

He feigned a sigh. "Alright, then. I'll just go back inside and play on the Xbox. See ya." He mocked saluted me and was just about to take another step had I not traced out a sigh of sheer irritation.

"You can never do something for someone without getting something in return," I muttered and pushed past him.

Christopher scoffed. "That's not true. I only do this around you. Now hurry it up. You have thirty seconds."

"You're so—," he cut me off.

"Twenty nine, twenty eight, twenty seven..." he began counting and I flashed him one final glare before turning on my heels.

Luckily, I managed to spot his jacket strewn on the couch and I breathed a sigh of relief. Who knew what would happen if I decided to step into Christopher's room, also known as, 'the forbidden territory?' Snorting quietly, I grabbed his black jacket and padded outside. I hurled the jacket at his face and as I eased my way down the steps, I hoped that the zipper didn't poke Christopher's eye.

I don't reckon I'd make it out alive if it did.

Christopher offered a quiet groan as he slid his hands through the sleeves of his jacket and walked over towards me. "Go get me my phone too."