Chapter 18: Problems

It was morning. We were all together outside Hershel's house eating our breakfast by the fire. Daryl and Carl were eating with us now that they are officially healed. I look across from me and see Rick looking at me. He looks at me with hurt in his eyes. It's because of what I said last night.

~~~

"What?" I asked.

I couldn't believe what Rick said to me.

"Lori's pregnant." Rick said again. "And she believes it's mine."

"Well, what did you say?" I asked.

"I didn't believe it at first." He said. "Until she showed me this."

He holds a pregnancy test that's positive in his hand.

"What are you gonna do?" I asked.

Rick sighs.

"I don't know." He said. "What do you want me to do?"

He's seriously asking me this?

"I can't do this." I said holding back my tears.

"What?" Rick asked.

"You need to be there for Lori and Carl." I said. "And the baby."

"But I don't love her anymore." He said. "And what if the baby isn't mine?"

I couldn't hold back my tears anymore because of what I'm about to say next.

"You have to at least try." I said. "And it doesn't matter if it's yours or not because we can't exactly get a damn DNA test now."

"But do you love me, Bailey?" Rick asked.

I just stood there. I can't say it.

"It's getting dark now, you should be with your wife." I said walking away.

"Bailey!" Rick said.

I left him there and went in the RV to sleep. I closed the door and started crying. I don't care if the person on watch can hear me.

"Bailey?" Glenn asked from outside.

He's on top of the RV keeping watch.

"Are you ok?" He asked.

"Y-yeah I'm f-fine.." I lied. "I'm just getting tired."

"Do you need me to get someone?" He asked. "Or do you wanna talk to me? I'm not good at advice but I'm good at listening."

I smiled. Glenn always cares about everyone in this group. He's one of the strongest people we got.

"No, I'm fine, Glenn. I just wanna be alone." I said. "Thank you."

"No problem." He said.

~~~

And here we are.

It was silent the whole time. I tried my best to avoid Rick's stares. He has to realize that we can't be together. It's better this way. It hurts me so much because I really do love him. But I can't.