Chapter 46 - Hope

Start from the beginning

"C'mon, let me take you home." I said softly.

"Let me do this Theo... let me finish what I came here to do." He whimpered tightening his grip on my shirt.

"Y-you can't!" I replied nervously. Why would he want to go through with this?

"Why not?" He said noticeably upset.

"Think about all of the things you have to live for... think about all of the people who would be sad if you took your life." I tried to convince.

"I have." He responded after a silent moment, with more tears following soon after. I pondered for a second and realized what he meant, this was already the outcome of what I told him to consider. I pulled him closer, trying not to not to touch any of his cuts.

"Just... let me end this." He choked.

"No."

"Please! There's nothing left for me here..." He begged. Even so, I could tell deep down he didn't really want this, no one did.

"Keegan, I'll give you something to live for." I promised, though I had no idea what I was going to do, I just wanted him to feel better, I wanted him to have hope.

"Just... let me bring you to the hospital at least." I sighed, worried he wouldn't accept. He didn't, he refused with a silent head shake.

Time passed as we sat under the pouring rain. The cold drops hitting my back became almost non-existent, as did everything else, besides Keegan in my arms. It was completely night, nothing was visible other than the boy in front of me.

"Theo." He sobbed.

"Yes?" I answered quietly.

"Theo." He repeated, this time his voice growing softer.

"I'm here." I assured him. He repeated my name again, only this time it was barely audible.

I held him and rubbed his back gently until his body went limp in my arms. He fell asleep. I took that opportunity to carry him back to my car. I noticed how tired he looked as I was carrying him, almost like he'd been through hell and back. I managed to pop the car door open with both of my hand full. I lowered Keegan into the passenger seat and buckled him up. He looked so peaceful laying there. I started the engine after getting into the car myself then pulled off the side if the road. It was a quiet drive. Keegan was sleeping peacefully. I still felt uneasy about all of this, like, what's even going on?

I took Keegan back to my place. I had no idea where else I could bring him, though he could probably use a doctor, he's in pretty bad shape. I pulled into the driveway and lifted Keegan out of the car. I carried him down the walkway to the front door. A memory of him walking beside me while admiring the flowers played in my head. I struggled to twist the door handle with him in my arms, he ended up waking, but I didn't set him down. I got the door open and carried him in.